Shane Matthews old news

RVJ

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Update: The Bills want someone with starting NFL experience that will come at a modest price ($1 million a year) to be the backup to new starter J.P. Losman, according to The Sports Xchange. Their first choice is retaining their own unrestricted free agent, Matthews, an 11-year veteran with 22 starts who hits the market on Wednesday.

Recommendation: Matthews knows coach Mike Mularkey's offense and just as critical, he knows the brash Losman. Matthews will either accept Buffalo's offer to return and mentor Losman, or he'll retire for a second time. If Matthews does decide to retire, GM Tom Donahoe won't panic -- there are plenty of options out there -- though it seems as if Matthews will be Buffalo's most preferred option.

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Update: The Bills want someone with starting NFL experience that will come at a modest price ($1 million a year) to be the backup to new starter J.P. Losman, according to The Sports Xchange. Their first choice is retaining their own unrestricted free agent, Matthews, an 11-year veteran with 22 starts who hits the market on Wednesday.

Recommendation: Matthews knows coach Mike Mularkey's offense and just as critical, he knows the brash Losman. Matthews will either accept Buffalo's offer to return and mentor Losman, or he'll retire for a second time. If Matthews does decide to retire, GM Tom Donahoe won't panic -- there are plenty of options out there -- though it seems as if Matthews will be Buffalo's most preferred option.

254968[/snapback]

The only reason I like Matthews is he's been herea year and familiar with the offense and coaching staff but as that article states there's quite a few options available. Incase Matthews does retire I suspect guys like Jim Miller or Jay Fiedler would definately be considered. As watching a rerun of Mularkey's press conference when he came here (on Empire) he described the offense he invisions as a slow drawn out offense which tells me he favors a quick thinking short passing game, which never was Bledsoe's strength.