Losman Starting Doesn't = Palmer Starting

Arkady Renko

A whole bunch of people, especially in the national media, have been saying that the Bills are going to take step back by going with Losman this year rather than Bledsoe. They compare it to the situation in Cinncinnati last year where Kitna was benched after a strong Bengals season for Carson Palmer and how they took a step back initially.

I totally disagree that this situation is at all similar. If you look at the Bengals in 2003, they were successful because of their better offense for the most part. Kitna had a pro-bowl type year and was helping to keep the team competitive. So when Palmer started they were going to have a slight step back because it was Palmers first year and the Bengals had been so dependent on their offense.

The Bills this year were not being carried by Bledsoe but by the defense and special teams as everyone has mentioned. Besides a veteran being replaced by a second year player, there is no similarity at all.

A whole bunch of people, especially in the national media, have been saying that the Bills are going to take step back by going with Losman this year rather than Bledsoe. They compare it to the situation in Cinncinnati last year where Kitna was benched after a strong Bengals season for Carson Palmer and how they took a step back initially.

I totally disagree that this situation is at all similar. If you look at the Bengals in 2003, they were successful because of their better offense for the most part. Kitna had a pro-bowl type year and was helping to keep the team competitive. So when Palmer started they were going to have a slight step back because it was Palmers first year and the Bengals had been so dependent on their offense.

The Bills this year were not being carried by Bledsoe but by the defense in special teams as everyone has mentioned. Besides a veteran being replaced by a second year player, there is no similarity at all.

249648[/snapback]

That's right, Palmer was healthy and practicing for his first year... so this is even larger step back for the Bills.

forgive him Father, Puhonix knows not what he posts...he is after all, merely a dolphins fan...

249656[/snapback]

God blessed me to be fortunate enough to see Marino and Kelly play, in Miami. for that I am blessed. But to be a Dolphins fan, God had no hand in this. I merely chose the team that he wore on his hat. :doh:

That's right, Palmer was healthy and practicing for his first year... so this is even larger step back for the Bills.

249650[/snapback]

But look at where Loaman has been since the season has been over. He's been in Buffalo working with Wyche and TC at the training facility, watching film, lifting weights, etc. He is just making up for lost time, thats all.

He'll be ready to not necessarily win football games next year, rather ready to not lose them.

But look at where Loaman has been since the season has been over.  He's been in Buffalo working with Wyche and TC at the training facility, watching film, lifting weights, etc.  He is just making up for lost time, thats all.

He'll be ready to not necessarily win football games next year, rather ready to not lose them.

249674[/snapback]

At the same time, you're assuming that Palmer was watching MTV and eating BBQ chips for the postseason? He knew he was gonig to be the starter, just as well as we know now that JP is starting. I'm sure he worked just as hard as Losman is working now. You put them both on an even plane, and Losman has the disadvantage because he was rehabbing, in addition to working out and studying.

But look at where Loaman has been since the season has been over.  He's been in Buffalo working with Wyche and TC at the training facility, watching film, lifting weights, etc.  He is just making up for lost time, thats all.

249674[/snapback]

Who is to say Palmer didn't do the same last year? Plus Palmer was a higher rated draft pick. Plus as was mentioned Palmer was injured half of his rookie year.

Who is to say Palmer didn't do the same last year?  Plus Palmer was a higher rated draft pick.  Plus as was mentioned Palmer was injured half of his rookie year.

249710[/snapback]

I don't recall Palmer being injured in 2003. Neither he or Matthews played that year - Kitna took all the snaps. Palmer missed the last 3 games of '04 with a knee strain after a (clean) hit by NE's Seymour in week 13.

At the same time, you're assuming that Palmer was watching MTV and eating BBQ chips for the postseason? He knew he was gonig to be the starter, just as well as we know now that JP is starting. I'm sure he worked just as hard as Losman is working now. You put them both on an even plane, and Losman has the disadvantage because he was rehabbing, in addition to working out and studying.

249708[/snapback]

Losman has a better defense and special teams working for him. This balance will provide Losman with everything that he needs to succeed in 05.

I don't recall Palmer being injured in 2003. Neither he or Matthews played that year - Kitna took all the snaps. Palmer missed the last 3 games of '04 with a knee strain after a (clean) hit by NE's Seymour in week 13.

249718[/snapback]

Sorry wasn't injured. :doh:

Losman has a better defense and special teams working for him.  This balance will provide Losman with everything that he needs to succeed in 05.

249721[/snapback]

Everything he needs to suceed... yes, but you're off your rocker if you think its going to happen in 05. Give it a couple years at least.