"The Culture of Fun" and coaching in pro sports

YoloinOhio

By making fun a central tenet of their locker room culture, Steve Kerr -- along with leading fun advocates like Chicago Cubs manager Joe Maddon and Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll -- believe they can unlock a competitive advantage that's tough to quantify, but still real.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/with-coaches-like-kerr-carroll-and-maddon-pro-sports-teams-remember-to-have-fun/

Carroll's critics weren't impressed. When the Jets went 6-10 in his first season, that also became his last, as the team fired him at season's end. When the New England Patriots went from 10-6 to 9-7 to 8-8 in Carroll's first three seasons in Foxboro, he was dismissed again. By the end of that three-year stretch, the team had roster problems and talent shortages that might not have been solvable by any coach. But the perception remained the same: Carroll's drive to create a fun atmosphere made him too soft to be an NFL coach -- doubly so in hard-edged East Coast markets, triply so when he took over for noted hard-ass Bill Parcells with the Pats. Talking to the San Francisco Chronicle in 2000, Carroll admitted that his approach was never going to resonate everywhere. "I think I fit better in other places."

I think this kind of culture is important in pro sports (not so much in college). Thoughts?

I have coached quite a few teams at the middle and high school levels with varying levels of success, winless teams to state champions. I preach to the kids, that I want them to have fun, and the I'd rather lose with a team that I love to coach than win with a bunch of (depending on age range) kids I can't stand, idiots, or jackasses.