Shelton, Free Agency, Draft, etc

Buffalo Wing

Some random thoughts over a Saturday morning cup of coffee...stream of consciousness writing here, so be patient...

(1) If the Bills and Cardinals do dance, I think it's a player for player swap. No additional draft picks on either side to consumate the deal. I don't think TD bites on the deal if Arizona wants an additional draft pick thrown in. It appears to be a fair deal for both sides. Although TD (or Arizona for that matter) may covet another draft pick, if you can snag a known NFL commodity, you strike while the iron is hot.

(2) If Shelton is brought in, we can safely assume that JJ walks. I think if this scenario plays out, the Bills strike early in free agency and sign a solid left guard. We would then have a very nice offensive line for Jimmy Mac to work his magic on.

(3) Marcus Price will be locked up in the red, blue, and white. He is too valuable to the team. He has come in and played both left tackle and right tackle at critical moments...and held down the fort admirably. Price strikes me as a player who is content to do whatever the organization asks of him - those are the type of players that you want on your team. I think this would give them some nice depth at the offensive line too - Price, Tucker, Smith, et al.

(4) Pat Williams will resign with the Bills. It will be a fair deal for both sides. Pat has too many close friends on the team and is a huge impact in the Buffalo community. He is a man that places a high priority on principles!

(4) The Bills will also push hard for a solid TE in free agency. Regardless of the health of Campbell and Euhus (who both MAY be back in time for the start of training camp - note: MAY be back), this is a position that needs an upgrade. Ryan Neufeld is not the answer guys. An upgrade at this position will hopefully add further strength to the offensive line, as well as providing JP with another offensive weapon. Can you imagine a solid TE for Tom Clements to game plan with? Hmmm....do I give the ball to Willis, throw a quick out to Moulds, a streak to Jet Lee, a pass in the flat to the TE, a bootleg by JP, etc....as a defense, who do you game plan for???

(5) Jim Miller will be brought in for a look-see at backup QB, but in the end, the former Pittsburgh Steeler, Chicago Bear, etc will be passed over for Charlie Batch. Batch has shown that he can come in game situations and manage the offense adequately. Shane Matthews will end up retiring. It appears that he has thought about retiring, and you know what they say, once you start thinking about it, you are already there. Regardless, Batch would be better suited to learn an offensive that will be primarily designed to play to the strengths of JP.

(6) Day 1 selections in the draft will include a defensive back and a defensive tackle. Sorry to all those Nuge fans out there (including myself).

Other thoughts: There has been some speculation that the Bills will entertain Correll Buckhalter as a back-up to WM. That would be a significant upgrade over Travis Henry as well as Shaud Williams. If TD pulls that off, wow!

(6) Day 1 selections in the draft will include a defensive back and a defensive tackle.  Sorry to all those Nuge fans out there (including myself).

245931[/snapback]

If Pat Williams re-signs, why do we go with a DT in this year's Draft with Anderson drafted last year and Ron Edwards still under contract? Not to mention Bannan and Sape still hanging around. The only way the Bills go the DT route in the Draft is if Phat Pat decides to leave. I do agree on the Bills taking a DB on the first day though, it wouldnt surprise me if that was our pick in the 2nd round since CB is pretty deep in this year's draft. My best guess now is either a CB or another O-Lineman for depth in the 2nd round.

Nice read!

Yeah, as much as I would like to have JJ back and cut the deal for Shelton, we won't do both. I just can't see it. Shelton for Henry just makes sense. He will get in here with his cousin, our starting fullback Daimon, and feel right at home.

As for as LG goes, I think it will be Keydrick Vincent from Pittsburgh. No ties to Donahoe here as he got there after TD but the guy is expendable there as their former first rounder returns next year from injury.(Kendall Simmons)

The C, RG and RT are set and I agree about re-signing Price. Having Price and Tucker to fill in off the bench at T,G and C would be a luxury. This gives Dylan Mc Farland another year to gain strength to play in this league.

As for as QB, not sure where we go. I think he will be a mobile QB though. Batch definitely is an option.

Keeping big Pat would be nice but we have drafted to replace those DT's recently and I wouldn't be shocked if we don't do it.

TE is a move I agree with. Franks would be "huge" in this offense. Would love to do it if he isn't franchised.

The draft is full of big RB's with good speed 3 to 4 rounds deep. Burkhalter has been hurt too much for me but was real explosive at one time. Amos Zeroue has been mentioned with that Pitt connection but I think our backup RB is from the draft. (Verand Morency-Ok.St. or Cedric Houston-Tenn.)

WR is another position we need upgrading at. After the top 2 we have nothing! If one of those guys goes down, we will be controlled! I would love to trade for Rod Gardner from Washington as a big possession type guy. He is supposedly on the market for a 3rd or 4th rounder. I would do it in a heartbeat! I would also look to add another speed guy to the mix like Roscoe Parrish from UM. Not that he will be Santana Moss-like but that speed along with Evans and Moulds will keep safeties back and allow a Franks and McGahee show to prosper.

At last, I'm with the Nugent faction on here. The kid has been money in college and can boom it in the endzone. The kicker alone decides too many outcomes and Lindell is friggin' shaky.

Recap:

---Make the trade with Henry for LJ Shelton

---Trade for Ron Gardner-WR for a 3rd to Washington.

---Sign Keydrick Vincent-LG, Bubba Franks-TE and re-sign Pat Williams to a friendly deal.

---Draft Kicker Nugent in the 2nd.

---Look at backup RB in the 4th with Cedric Houston from Tennessee.

---Waive PP and Izell Reese at the Safety positions and add a late draftee.

Late

As you folks read above and I said, Henry may not be enough.  LT's with Sheltons cap and his ability, regardless of the idiot writeup on sport inc, Shelton is a very good LT.

245963[/snapback]

They(Cards) lose leverage when he doesn't play and has been demoted to 2nd team at times. The guy hasn't played to his expected promise and it isn't a lock that he produces here either. I definitely wouldn't give any picks along with Travis for him. Player for player here makes sense.

Late

As you folks read above and I said, Henry may not be enough.  LT's with Sheltons cap and his ability, regardless of the idiot writeup on sport inc, Shelton is a very good LT.

245963[/snapback]

"may not be a enough"??

a few weeks ago you told us zona will get at least a first rounder for shelton and that anyone who suggested otherwise was being foolish........

are you backing down from that comment now, or do you still think they will get a 1st rounder minimum?

Good Post "Buffalo Wing" - you should post more often.

I am only now learning about LJ - but, it sounds to me like a one - for - one deal is going to be a hard sell. My CNJBBB club meets today and I am sure there will be different opinions voiced! (aka Henry is worth MORE than a sometimes backup oft-injured LT/RT...yada yada). My opinion is that LT's are VERY VALUABLE. This guy is young (29) and signed through 2008 at $3 mil per. whatfriggin bargain.

That said, I am confident that TD with McNally's input will correctly value LJ and will "up" the deal if nec (but no way a 1st rounder...I think EVERYONE is in agreement on THAT one!).

I agree with you that JJ walks. In fact, it sounds to me like he walks no matter what. $10 mil bonus is an awful lot for him BUT the Bills will need to replace him if he does walk.

I agree with you Price must be signed but can we be sure that all the other teams failto realize his value? If even one does, Price's price shoots up!

I agree too that PW will resign. He has stated publicly he won't be unreasonable which means ubless TD is stupid, he will only SLIGHTLY undervalue PW - high enuf to not insult him but low enuf to make him quite bargain. I'd say something like 4 years, $5-6 mil bonus or higher + base salaries of 2,3,5,6 (=$22-$23 mil + contract)

I agree (hey, we're on a role!) about signing a new TE. Whom I have no idea. Franks will be franchised. Gates will require a 1st rounder to steal away.

I don't agree about Batch - as far as I am aware he has done nothing to warrant being a 2nd stringer lately. I look for McMahon or maybe even McNown from Arizona (I'd LOVE this!).

gotta go cut up wings now........

Go Bills!!!

-RnJ

CNJBBB

If Pat Williams re-signs, why do we go with a DT in this year's Draft with Anderson drafted last year and Ron Edwards still under contract?  Not to mention Bannan and Sape still hanging around.  The only way the Bills go the DT route in the Draft is if Phat Pat decides to leave.  I do agree on the Bills taking a DB on the first day though, it wouldnt surprise me if that was our pick in the 2nd round since CB is pretty deep in this year's draft.  My best guess now is either a CB or another O-Lineman for depth in the 2nd round.

245952[/snapback]

My thinking on drafting a DT lies in the fact that even if PW resigns with the team (which I believe will happen), both PW and SA are getting up there in age. And let's face it, although Edwards showed signs of life last year, do we believe that he could become a full time starter at some point in the not-so-distant future? I'm not so sure that's a possibility. And let's face it, neither Bannan or Sape will be household names, even for true blue Bills fans.

My thinking on drafting a DT lies in the fact that even if PW resigns with the team (which I believe will happen), both PW and SA are getting up there in age.  And let's face it, although Edwards showed signs of life last year, do we believe that he could become a full time starter at some point in the not-so-distant future?  I'm not so sure that's a possibility.  And let's face it, neither Bannan or Sape will be household names, even for true blue Bills fans.

246019[/snapback]

I just dont see them taking a DT with Anderson and Edwards as backups. That would mean that whatever DT we select will be (at the highest) 5th or (at the lowest) 7th on the depth chart. DT can wait.

I just dont see them taking a DT with Anderson and Edwards as backups.  That would mean that whatever DT we select will be (at the highest) 5th or (at the lowest) 7th on the depth chart.  DT can wait.

246022[/snapback]

Agreed. Resign PW and we've got a solid group of DTs for the next few years.

"may not be a enough"??

a few weeks ago you told us zona will get at least a first rounder for shelton and that anyone who suggested otherwise was being foolish........

are you backing down from that comment now, or do you still think they will get a 1st rounder minimum?

245976[/snapback]

No I still think it will take a 1st. However, it maybe Henry and a second.