How to win with JP starting!

It should be. He's less talanted than Roethlisburger. The Bills would have booted Evans into the ditch if they had the opportunity to draft Big Ben.

244443[/snapback]

You're right.

I just think people should go into this their eyes open rather than attempt to use Big Ben as "proof" first year QBs can succeed. Sure they can, but more often than not they don't.

Expect the norm, not the extraordinary. And the norm is a long season ahead for JP and this team. That's all I'm saying.

You're right.

I just think people should go into this their eyes open rather than attempt to use Big Ben as "proof" first year QBs can succeed. Sure they can, but more often than not they don't.

Expect the norm, not the extraordinary. And the norm is a long season ahead for JP and this team. That's all I'm saying.

244447[/snapback]

It might work out. The hooting and hollering here, when the B'gals said they would go with Palmer instead of Kitna, coming off of a fine 2003 season, was spicy to say the least. :w00t:

But Palmer came around, so I hope history repeats with JP. We can but wait and see...

Guest BackInDaDay

I think the coaches will shoot for the stars, and work their way towards earth. :w00t:

ASAP, get him in those 7 on 7s. Drill all morning. Vary the D coverages, and give him the chance to recognize, pre-snap and throughout his progressions, what he's been studying on film. Get use to the closing speed of NFL DBs, the quickness of an NFL LB's drop. Go over the morning workout with him, and work on his deficiencies. Drill the rest of the afternoon. In the evening, work on his ball-handling skills. Play-action will get him the split-second more he needs to read the coverage, or delay the blitz.

His progress in the pre-seasson will dictate what the coaches feel gives him the best opportunity to succeed.

I think everyone is hoping that his mobility will compensate for his lack of NFL experience. I don't know if I can induldge the premise that his lack of NFL playing time will result in a mistake prone kid who's only recourse will be to run for his life.

This is a 24 year-old man, whose play in college made him worthy of a 1st round pick, and I'm confident he will react well to his coaches, and develop nicely.

That's an awfully big assumption.

There is no guarantee that JP can match Drew's numbers in his first year. None. Drew was a 12 year vet. Sure, he made TONS of mindboggling mistakes, but for every Big Ben there are a 100 Heath Shuelers. The fact is we don't know what we have with JP yet. So to expect him to win 9 games "because Drew did it" is flawed logic.

244410[/snapback]

I think the dirty little secret here is that Bledsoe's mindboggling mistakes did not cause us to crap out this season (despite what the Drew-haters have to say one can certainly attribute any loss to any of mistakes us imperfect humans make in a game, but outside of the fumble by Bledsoe returned by Seymour in a game we seemed destined to lose to the B champion anyway, I think there were relatively few game turning errors I would attribute to Bledsoe (or certainly to Bledsoe alone) whereas there were several of those types of plays in 2003 where I feel Bledsoe almost singlehandedly screwed the pooch to lose games. Likewise when you look back at the wins despite what Bledsoe lovers would have you believe there were relatively few wins I would attribute to Bledsoe as playing a major role (I think it was the first win against Miami he threw the ball against the wind effectively while the Miami QB struggled.

My sense is that if JP can achieve being as big a non-factor in the results of our season as Bledsoe was in 2004 then he can be carried by the team and will have a great year.

Like Bledsoe against Pittsburgh he will be open to fault for not delivering a victory for his teammates when their play sucks, but even against Pitts I find fault with the ST for laying egg with the Clements fumble and the Lindell chip shot miss and the D for letting a 4th string RB run for 100 yards as the big failings in that game and creating a situation where the usual blah game from Bledsoe was not enough to correct for their unusally bad play.

Good plan.  Now let's go out there and grab a LG.  Wahle from the Packers will do just fine.

244407[/snapback]

The firsr key here is what they decide to do with Jennings if they resign him for even as little as a $4 million cap hit it will be quite difficult to fit a new LG into an OL budget with MW scheduled to bring a cap hit of around $6 million.

If you want an LG then root against them resigning JJ most likely.

Run the ball and then run it again.

Folks who somehow expect this young QB who never has started and NFL game to come in and be the second coming of Elway or Joe Montana are almost certainly engaging in wishful thinking.

The Pitysburgh model of last year with Duce Staley and Jerome Bettis running the ball and a corps of WRs like Hines Ward gathering in anything thrown near them is the way you turn a rookie like RoboQB into one of the winningest rookie QBs ever.

If the Bills can make 9-7 with Bledsoe at the helm, they can drag a young learning QB to a winning record as well.

I expect Losman to have an up and down year.  If he doesn't do too much damage to our W/L as he learns the game we may well make the playoffs.  Pitts in the championship game like Buffalo against Pitts fell short when the counted upom a young QB to lead the team to victory.  The best example of a young QB leading a team to the ultimate victory has been NE with Brady where actually  the point the have emphasized and people now agree with as they argue whether Brady is really that good or not is that the way they win with a young QB is that it is the TEAM that wins.

So what should JP do.  If he never throws the ball 30 times in a game and most games he only throws it 20 times this will be a good season indeed.

244364[/snapback]

the one big thing we need on O is a power RB. a young bettis/tj. duckett type.

we need to spell WM to be successful. this type of bruising back and a change-up w/ Shaud will be a huge upgrade and JPL preserver

I think the dirty little secret here is that Bledsoe's mindboggling mistakes did not cause us to crap out this season (despite what the Drew-haters have to say one can certainly attribute any loss to any of mistakes us imperfect humans make in a game, but outside of the fumble by Bledsoe returned by Seymour in a game we seemed destined to lose to the B champion anyway, I think there were relatively few game turning errors I would attribute to Bledsoe (or certainly to Bledsoe alone) whereas there were several of those types of plays in 2003 where I feel Bledsoe almost singlehandedly screwed the pooch to lose games.  Likewise when you look back at the wins despite what Bledsoe lovers would have you believe there were relatively few wins I would attribute to Bledsoe as playing a major role (I think it was the first win against Miami he threw the ball against the wind effectively while the Miami QB struggled.

My sense is that if JP can achieve being as big a non-factor in the results of our season as Bledsoe was in 2004 then he can be carried by the team and will have a great year.

Like Bledsoe against Pittsburgh he will be open to fault for not delivering a victory for his teammates when their play sucks, but even against Pitts I find fault with the ST for laying egg with the Clements fumble and the Lindell chip shot miss and the D for letting a 4th string RB run for 100 yards as the big failings in that game and creating a situation where the usual blah game from Bledsoe was not enough to correct for their unusally bad play.

244477[/snapback]

Besides the no pocket awareness of Drew, the more naggin problem with Drew was the lack of touch on the short passes and more specifically the inability to run a screen pass.

If JP can perfrom better in those tasks alone, we should fair better this year !

Assuming he learns to look down field when he is running.  Something he never did at Tulane.

244377[/snapback]

Where'd you get that? I see he had an 87-yard TD in his last Tulane game. Considering he played behind one hell of a crappy o-line his senior year, I am left to assume he probably had to do a little scrambling to buy time for his receiver to get downfield.