The Market

Casey D

I am neither pro-Bledsoe nor pro-Losman, I just don't want to take a step backward in 2005 and miss the playoffs. And I don't believe the Bills braintrust thinks releasing Bledsoe will reduce our playoff chances much, if at all, for 2005, or they would not make this move.

On this score, doing an economic analysis of the situation, it appears that the market agrees with our braintrust that we will not take much of a hit in going with Losman. The proof on this is that no team seems to be willing to give the Bills anything in a trade for Bledsoe. I know the Bills respect Bledsoe, but they would not give him away if there was a stronger market for his services. How they are handling the Henry situation proves that. Bledsoe's cap number for the next two years is relatively small for a decent starting QB. If Bledsoe were perceived as a decent starting QB, someone would offer a draft pick for him--the Bills would let him shop his services and then make a trade. This is not being done for only one reasonable reason--no one will part with even a middle round pick for him.

It is evident, therefore, that the market shows that Bledsoe is, at best, a marginal starting QB. That being the consensus judgment of an entire league of GMs and coaches, as a mere interested observer, going with Losman seems to be the move that most every team in the league would make. So let's get it done and move into the Losman era....CD