Zebra Report Week 10: BUF vs. NJJ

Here is the second delayed installment due to my Vegas vacation.

1ST QTR

14:16 Mulligan for holding. GOOD CALL. Hugging like that, Mulligan should have taken the guy to dinner first.
7:32 Delay of game on Fitz. GOOD CALL.
6:48 Refs give Decker an EXTREMELY generous spot on a 3RD down play for a first down. Rex burns a challenge and the refs uphold the call. HORRIBLE BAD CALL. The replay clearly shows that Decker never reached the first down marker on the field, but the ref didn’t have the guts to overrule his team on the field. The CBS announcing crew disagreed with the call, and even Mike Carey thought it was a bad call. I was in Vegas watching the game at the MGM Grand Sports Book, and the Jest fan next to me said they got away with one. BTW, have I mentioned this was a bad call?
6:20 On the Jest 38-yard screen pass to Ivory, Preston Brown is clearly held at the point of attack by Carpenter of the Jest. TERRIBLE NON-CALL. Carpenter hooked Preston’s left arm. Preston was right next to Ivory and could have made the tackle.
1:11 Holding on Incognito. GOOD CALL. Richie grabbed the collar of the Jest D lineman to keep Tyrod from getting killed.
0:37 Tyrod slides after a short scramble on 3RD and 18. Jest player flies over top of Tyrod and knees him in the head. QUESTIONABLE NON-CALL. While not intentional, the player made contact with the QB’s head and should have been whistled for a PF.

Refs are off to a bad start. Fewer calls, but the first down they gave the Jest and the holding not called on the Ivory screen pass led to 3 Jest points.

2ND QTR

12:16 Clay is in the backfield and motions right. He then lines up on the LOS next to Seantrel. QUESTIONABLE NON-CALL. Bill should have been flagged for illegal formation, since they only had 3 in the backfield.
8:29 False start on Jest. GOOD CALL.
5:09 Decker clearly drops a screen from Fitz, but refs call it complete. HORRIBLE CALL. Rex burns his last challenge here, which was a really bad move. It was only 2ND down here, not 3RD, but it worked out since the defense held on 3RD down. Mike Carey also questioned Rex using the challenge here, but of course made no comment about why the refs screwed up the call in the first place.
4:50 Holding on Bills during punt return. GOOD CALL. The replay clearly showed that Nickell held the guy at the point of attack.

Refs continue to blow easy calls.

3RD QTR

5:15 Jest running play, XTC’s helmet comes flying off. The replay clearly shows that Jest OL Winters pushed Nigel’s helmet right off his head. TERRIBLE NON-CALL. Jest should have been flagged for hands to the face, and this was right at the point of attack. Absolutely no excuse for the refs to miss that one.
2:46 Fitzy scrambles for 15 yards, but Carrington was clearly held at the point of attack. BAD NON-CALL.

Showing remarkable restraint, the refs threw no flags in the 3RD QTR.

4TH QTR

14:07 Delay of game on the Bills. GOOD CALL.
11:35 Holding on Jest during punt to Bills. GOOD CALL. Bills rusher was tackled to the ground in front of the punter.
0:24 Holding on Garrison Sanborn during Bills punt. GOOD CALL. Sanborn wrapped up the Jest rusher and tackled him.

The more I do these Zebra reports, the more I’m just astonished at the poor quality of NFL officiating. At least this time they didn’t cost anyone the game.

Edited by Freddie's Dead