Some Drew/TD/JP thoughts

jahnyc

I don't consider my self particularly pro or anti Drew, but I would note the following:

1. I hope TD does not make too much of JP's potential or abilities in his public statements. JP does not need the additional pressure. TD has a tendency to "talk up" certain players which leads to unrealistic expectations. He did this with RJ and DB. He also seems to sour on some players really quickly.

2. DB was durable as the Bills' qb. I hope JP will be as well, but because he scrambles, I would anticipate that some money will be spent to upgrade our o-line. Otherwise, it may be rough first season as starter for JP.

3. Yes, DB played poorly on a consistent basis against good teams, but so did the rest of the team (i.e., Pittsburgh). All qbs seem to have trouble against NE, and we should expect JP to struggle as well. Our poor play against good teams over the last couple of years was the result of the overall team play and coaching, not just the efforts of DB.

4. I wonder what TD has in mind for the back-up qb. This situation makes me nervous since we have no idea whether JP will be durable.

5. Will JP as our starter have a positive or negative impact on our ability to attract free agents? I think in the short term, negative, since players want to win now and some free agents will want to see how JP performs before believing the Bills are a playoff team. Of course this will not be a problem with some free agents, since money will be the deciding factor for them.