Morten Anderson.

jarthur31

I'm sure another HUGE reason that he was cut was that his veteran minimum salary is HUGE and it probably doesn't justiy a team keeping him when they can pay 90% less and maybe only lose 10% or less of leg...

just my opinion anyway...

one small problem with the salary cap, if you have noticed, the amount of good kickers have dwindled over the years and some good ones go without jobs sometimes because they've been in the league too long and must be paid too much for a just being a kicker, so some teams sacrifice chance at the 45+ yard field goals for about a million in salary cap.

again, just my opinion, but it seems to make a little sense

I'm sure another HUGE reason that he was cut was that his veteran minimum salary is HUGE

This is not really the case. If you sign an 'old-time' vet for a 1 yr. vet minimum salary, you get a substantial break on the cap cost. This change was implemented a few yrs ago, 'cuz there were many back-up vets (AVP comes to mind), that couldn't get work for the very reason you state. The extra 400k or so of cap room that they took up wasn't worth it relative to a rookie who can sit on the bench for much less.

As a representation, (I don't know accurate #s, but this'll be the general idea), let's say that vet min for someone w/ 10+ yrs is $900k but their cap hit will only be $500k. Rookie min is like $250k, so isn't a good kicker worth $250k? You'd be better off w/ only 52 guys on the roster.

(My personal opinion is that kickers (& punters) are among the most valuable players on the team & getting a good one, like Moorman, is worth WAY more than there relative cap hit relative to other players.)

Anderson won't be unemployed long, I'm afraid.  Some kicker somewhere will get hurt or suck it up pretty bad. 

I just hope Ryan doesn't fug it up for us.  Too bad TD didn't keep Hollis.

18510[/snapback]

Isn't Hollis a cripple now?