Quarter of the Way In - I feel duped

Virgil

My first reaction to some of our offseason moves:

"What did Rex Ryan do in NY that merits him another chance? He's a loud mouth whose team eventually turns on him."

"What is it about the San Fran Offense that makes me want it here in Buffalo?"

"Did we really make enough changes to improve on a top 5 defense and create a run game?"

Four games into the season, I think the answers are no. Rex did a great job of buttering up our new owners, the media, and us the fans. He had me believing in the hype that things would be different. But over the past 15 years, how many times have we been here? How many times did we beat teams that we justified as being worthy opponents. How many times have we allowed ourselves to let meaningless wins mean more than they should have?

For me, I admit that I believed that this is still the same defense that shut down Aaron and Peyton. But we aren't. That was a defense that dictated what yards we would give up to the point of total frustration for opposing teams.

End of the day. We have the same Rex Ryan he's always been. A man who relies on hype and emotion, not the professionalism to win in the NFL. We have the same Roman who doesn't know how to utilize WR's, gets bailed out by a scrambling QB to make his rushing stats look better than they are.

Here's what I think going forward:

• Kickers are having a crap year and I overall think that Ryan's open criticism of Carpenter only makes things worse
  • We don't have a players captain on defense with any real control over the team. The lack of benching of these guys when they lose it on the field and that fact that it keeps happening is ridiculous. I can only imagine how much worse it would be if we tied or losing in our two wins.
  • Rex has got way too much ego and proved it today after the press conference. His teams penalties are a real thing and he wants to deflect. He hasn't earned anything with this team at 2-2.
  • We will probably finish 9-7 because we will beat the sub .500 teams as we are right in the middle of the pack.
  • The team we are seeing right now is the team we will have all season besides an anomaly here and there.
  • Tyrod is absolutely capable of being our starting QB. For a guy on his 4th NFL start, he's doing very well

Overall, I feel like the business approach is the best way to look at this. We are customers, Pegula is the owner, Rex is the store manager, and the Bills are the product. We all bought a product based upon the advertising of Rex and spent quality money. We are buying iPhones. Things that are expensive, but not a need. So yes, when it doesn't live up to it's billing, those who are rightfully upset are trolls and those who love it as it crashes are fanboys. And there are always the crazies that give each side a bad name.

Welcome to another season of being a Bills fan. Congrats though, you've been prepped for the past 15 years for this!