(OT) Internet Problem/Question

CosmicBills

I'm computer illiterate. I know how to get around on the web, and how to use Word. That's about it.

But recently I have noticed something on the internet and I am not sure why my computer is doing this. Words in articles (everywhere, CNN.com, CBS.com etc, even in posts on TSW) are double underlined w/hyper links that bring me to random sites on the net. For instance, Greenbay Packers shows up underlined...

I'm assuming this is a virus of some-sort, but I have Norton and have run Ad-ware and Spy hunter and nothing has gotten rid of this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

what other words are underlined

238036[/snapback]

For example, just in your profile, hockey sticks and office chair are both double underlined. And if I click on them, it brings me to a site to buy them or learn about them...it's very odd. And it's been happening for a couple months. I tend to ignore it, but I would love to get rid of it.

h.sticks brings me here: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/hockeymonkey/

Did you happen to download software from answers.com recently?

Yahoo toolbar has a pretty good <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=5&k=spy%20sweeper" onmouseover="window.status='spy sweeper'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">spy sweeper</a> built-in.

238044[/snapback]

Not that I know of. I will give Yahoo a look. I already tried spybot (not hijack this) and got nada...

I just haven't seen this before. It's annoying:)

it is a piece of software that turns everything into links. You click on that link and an advertiser pays a few cents.

What did you download recently?

238064[/snapback]

Wooohooo! I think it's gone! Thanks so much to everyone. Millbank led me to a site with some help on it (thanks Grant!)

It was some program called "Hyperlink" hidden in one of my toolbars (I think Google?).

I don't know what I downloaded recently. I don't have music or movies or anything. But I am on AIM a lot. I think the last couple things I downloaded were toolbars (AOL and Google).

Thanks again!