Browns' Andy Lee to wear No. 8 as tribute to late daughter

Lee, who was traded to the Browns last week after 11 seasons with the San Francisco 49ers, will wear No. 8 in Cleveland as a tribute to his daughter Madelyn, who lived just eight days in January before she died from complications after her birth.

"I think sometimes, not necessarily by me and my wife, her life can get overlooked. She was here, she was a person but nobody got to meet her, nobody got to see her," Lee said, according to the team's website. "She was really alive and really a person. It's a way to honor her and kind of just give her some glory she deserves."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13057881/cleveland-browns-punter-andy-lee-wear-no-8-honor-late-child

Lee, who was traded to the Browns last week after 11 seasons with the San Francisco 49ers, will wear No. 8 in Cleveland as a tribute to his daughter Madelyn, who lived just eight days in January before she died from complications after her birth.

"I think sometimes, not necessarily by me and my wife, her life can get overlooked. She was here, she was a person but nobody got to meet her, nobody got to see her," Lee said, according to the team's website. "She was really alive and really a person. It's a way to honor her and kind of just give her some glory she deserves."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13057881/cleveland-browns-punter-andy-lee-wear-no-8-honor-late-child

so sad, My Grandson was born the same day. I would be devastated

Sounds odd, but I'm from the Bay Area and almost all my friends here are Niners fans, and they're much more devastated about Lee than they were about Borland, Davis, etc. Dude was like a legend of punting around here.

I think SF is going for the TANK this yr, they just don't know it yet.

This stuff chokes me up, once you have a kid you just don't glaze over that kind of story anymore. God bless him and his poor wife

once you have children.. everything changes. as well it should. grandchild makes it even worse : ) life is fleeting. us older folks know

Very nice story all considered. giving tribute by him. some might want to just try to push it away. But he raises it like flag of honor.

choked me up too. i was reading at work and had to look around to see if anyone noticed my " allergies" acting up.

btw i dont have allergies