The Auto Bailout Worked

What's the incentive to run a nimble profitable company that competes effectively in a market when you are considered to important to fail? What lesson did leadership of GM or Chysler learn? If it happens again, will GM managment be able to reduce jobs to remain afloat? Will Unions see the urgency and tell some member they cannot save all the jobs?

Frankly, I didn't love the bailouts... I understand the rationale behind the action, but I don't feel GM would have been any worse off going through a legally protected restructure. I guess as a president sitting during an economic collapse saving any jobs industries is the incentive, but I think in the end you do more long term harm than short term good.

What's the incentive to run a nimble profitable company that competes effectively in a market when you are considered to important to fail? What lesson did leadership of GM or Chysler learn? If it happens again, will GM managment be able to reduce jobs to remain afloat? Will Unions see the urgency and tell some member they cannot save all the jobs?

Frankly, I didn't love the bailouts... I understand the rationale behind the action, but I don't feel GM would have been any worse off going through a legally protected restructure. I guess as a president sitting during an economic collapse saving any jobs industries is the incentive, but I think in the end you do more long term harm than short term good.

And there's the key point: it wasn't about saving GM or Detroit. It was all about saving jobs.

And there's nothing particularly wrong with that...until you dogmatically subordinate everything else to one single motivation.

And there's the key point: it wasn't about saving GM or Detroit. It was all about saving jobs.

And there's nothing particularly wrong with that...until you dogmatically subordinate everything else to one single motivation.

Everything else? Like what?

Just so we're clear...you're asking me to obfuscate with specific examples and details now?

No, just kind of amazed that you don't see how important it is to have jobs in the country. Maybe, just this once you actually had a real point. Nevermind

No, just kind of amazed that you don't see how important it is to have jobs in the country. Maybe, just this once you actually had a real point. Nevermind

I'm not the least bit amazed that you don't see that it's more important to have laws.