(OT) Laptop wireless system

Anyone have any suggestions for a laptop wireless system?  Just got a laptop and want to go mobile!  Thanks in advance.

231932[/snapback]

Buy an 802.11g card -- 55mbps. I like Linksys personally, but DLink, 3Com, etc all make good stuff.

Buy an 802.11g router/access point.

Make sure you enable WEP (wired equivelency protocol) on the router so that your data is encrypted and so others can't hop onto your network.

Change your WEP key at least once a month, preferrably once every couple of weeks. It's a pain, but wireless networks are NOT secure.

http://www.fezam.com/security

CW

My brother works at an ISP and told me this story...

An old lady calls in with a slow speed issue. My brother had the lady go to some speed test sites, checked the modem's freqs, checked for ICMP flooding, T3 and T4 time outs, the works. My brother is like, this has got to be an issue with her PC. So he asks her if she made any changes to your computer in the past week or so? The old lady goes, the boy across the street installed a firewall for me. My brother was like, that's got to be it! He goes ahead and asks her the firewall name. She replies, it's a linksys... however the boy next door said it won't work unless i put it next to the window. :w00t: Come to find out all the neighbor kids were enjoying highspeed internet, compliments of her "firewall".

Buy an 802.11g card -- 55mbps.  I like Linksys personally, but DLink, 3Com, etc all make good stuff.

Buy an 802.11g router/access point.

Yep. The key is to get 802.11G. The G is critical. There are B systems out there that are outdated, insecure and slow. The retailers are trying to give away the B systems... e.g. you'll see B systems for $50 with a $50 mail in rebate.

G is what you want.

Once you get your system going you can join the geek cult of Homebrew Antenna Tweakers. These guys can party! :w00t:

Thanks for the input.  I went with AT&T's 802.11g-108 Mbps.  Got the router (2 of them actually, 1 for home one for work) for $30 and the card for $20.  A lot less than I thought I'd pay to go wire-free!

232136[/snapback]

Be sure to enable WEP.... Or whatever new wireless security protocol G has (I think it has one, but I can't remember and havn't looked it up).

CW

My brother works at an ISP and told me this story...

An old lady calls in with a slow speed issue.  My brother had the lady go to some speed test sites, checked the modem's freqs, checked for ICMP flooding, T3 and T4 time outs, the works.  My brother is like, this has got to be an issue with her PC.  So he asks her if she made any changes to your computer in the past week or so?  The old lady goes, the boy across the street installed a firewall for me.  My brother was like, that's got to be it!  He goes ahead and asks her the firewall name.  She replies, it's a linksys... however the boy next door said it won't work unless i put it next to the window.  :w00t:  Come to find out all the neighbor kids were enjoying highspeed internet, compliments of her "firewall".

231942[/snapback]

That's funny.... :w00t::w00t: