The most important thing this season does for us...

BillsFan3434

I think the most important thing a 9 or 10 win season does for this football team is makes Buffalo more enticing to bring in quality free agents. Not going to the playoffs for the past 15 seasons (if we miss out this year) has really hampered Buffalo's ability to bring in quality free agents (remember the whole week we were biting out fingers over Mario Williams?). If a couple great offensive lineman or possibly a QB, TE, etc. are in FA next year, would they want to be a part of the Buffalo Bills? Could they be the missing puzzle pieces to a potentially playoff bound team with a stout defense / ST only missing links being on offense?

ESPECIALLY because we don't have a first round pick next year -

If this thing turns around I think Marrone deserves at least that much credit. He has made Buffalo relevant again (along with Jim Schwartz but Marrone has known he lacks defensive knowledge and went out and brought in two people with credentials [see Pettine, Schwartz]). I still feel Hackett needs to be shown the door though. Okay, this has went from a thread about making Buffalo relevant to possible FA to complaining about our offense.

Sorry I thought this deserved it's own thread, I wanted to hear what you guys thought as well.

Agree about FAs and it comes at a time when Pegulas are taking over. If we were going to take a OG or TE in the 1st, we might as well just sign a premier one. We werent going to draft high enough to get one of the QBs anyway. I would rather have a premier vet at either of those position than a rookie anyway.

The type of FA's we need to go after are not the big names. Not the Iupiouuaauauusuus (SF - RT) or Anthony Spencers (Dal - DL).

We need to go after our own first. Hairston or Pears to keep some depth and insurance. Wynn because he's worth it, and Spikes because he can change the entire defensive game plan with his particular skillset. Spiller and Larry Dean both add depth to our positions that can very much help. Spiller at RB, and Dean at ST. Not many have noticed but Dean plays ST quite well and is dependable there.

There are 3 players we must sign: Easley, Hughes and Searcy.

Easley is the type of player that you want on your football team. One day we'll call upon him to play WR when we will need him and he will be dependable because that is the type of guy he is. But, otherwise, on ST there is no reason we do not keep this guy and give him a 3-4 contract. He's the type just like Searcy. The type to give you that play in the big games, that clutch moment to pull of the same play he's been giving you all season. The guy who wins Super Bowl MVP because his consistency and dependability are tried and true.

Searcy, as noted above, is not a player you build your team on but you build your team with. Now that Duke Williams and Barcardi Rambo look promising we can let a little bit of a air out and relax about Searcy. But, there is absolutely no reason we should not keep Searcy. At some point, Rambo, D Williams and Searcy will be left with the position of odd man out and in that case I hope they go on to a promising NFL career like Jabari Greer did. We still have Meeks and Ladler, as well.

Hughes should be able to get what he deserves and wants. We have the room.

It'd be nice to bring back Summers because I trust him more then Gray, but it's still a business and only so man guys can make it.

----

Bulaga is a FA. He's not all world at RT but I might consider bringing him in because he is just the type of player that fits our MO. A solid, stout player who can help.

Edited by jboyst62