No more calling him Greggo

4merper4mer

All of this is my opinion. I used to call Marrone "Greggo Marrone" but I'm done. Here's why:

There are similarities. Both are arrogant beyond what they have in abilities to back it up. Both are see through as Mr. Tough guy. Both have just one way of handling things and that one way is to cast blame about and/or yell at people or put them in a makeshift doghouse. Introspection is lost on these guys.

Differences:

I see Gregg Williams as massively arrogant. Even with his name; one g at the end like normal people isn't enough for him. More importantly, he talks down to everyone: players, reporters, fans, everyone. Gregg loves him some Gregg and is in the top 1% of obviously insecure people I have ever witnessed. He is beyond repair and will never self examine. He used a crutch like a bounty, which is beyond disgusting, to help him cover his own insecurity about his game plans. It is a travesty that the NFL let him back in but it is par for the course. The real party to blame here is Tom Donahue for falling for what should have been an obvious ruse in the interview process. Most prepared ever? Donahue probably just sat back and let Williams dominate the meeting with his BS.

Side note: Why isn't Ben Roethlisberger in any of those "No More" commercials? I think the NFL is arrogant enough to do this.

I see Marrone as Greggo-like but I now see differences. I don't think for a second he would ever stoop to something like a bounty. Yes, he overestimates his abilities and is see through as a tough guy, but I think he really wants to be that coach that is respected and he is simply trying too hard to become something he is not, whereas Greggo think he is already that guy and everyone else is too stupid to hand him the title of super genius. I think deep down Marrone knows he is not that and he is simply making the mistake of forcing himself into what he perceives to be a winner's approach. At this point I find it sad more than anything because I do think he could become a successful head coach with just a few tweaks learned over time. If he handed off the offense to a strong OC and was "delegator in chief" I think he could succeed. He played in the league and coached at many levels so he has some credibility. He will make tough decisions like benching a QB. He has just not seen this or done anything approaching it. I can't imagine him being able to make this transition in a manner timely enough that it will help the Buffalo Bills. He needs to be fired. I wish him success in the future in contrast to my desire to see Williams fail repeatedly.