Sammy Watkins among Pro Bowl-Caliber Rookies

26CornerBlitz

Pro Bowl-caliber rookies

Mike Evans might be flying under the radar for the 1-8 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but he's putting together a stellar debut campaign. Gil Brandt lists 10 rookies playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Sammy Watkins, WR, Buffalo Bills

The quick Watkins excels at extending for the catch, and he can run after he hauls it in. Entering the NFL, his route-running ability was considered something of a question mark, given that he didn't really have to run routes at Clemson, but he's shown he can do that at the pro level. The Bills' decision to replace EJ Manuel with Kyle Orton -- who has more experience and is better at reading defenses -- was a boon for Watkins. My only worry about Watkins has to do with his health. If I knew he was an automatic lock to run out there 16 times a year, I'd probably rank him ahead of Evans.

Sammy has really only made one spectacular catch this year. He has gotten open with good routes, but he has not made one play all season in a one on one situation where it was a jump ball and he came down with it yet.

I am thoroughly impressed and love him as a player, but he just has not the things he did in preseason.