Sickening Accident

kegtapr

Look at the impact. What was the bus driver doing ? Looks like he drove off the road himself.  <_<  Those poor kids.

222821[/snapback]

One of my buddies is a NYS Trooper in that area. I saw him on the local Rochester news at the scene. I'm supposed to hang out with him tonight when he gets off. He's the kind that likes to get things he see's off his chest. He's told me some pretty grusome stories, but I can't imagine what he'll tell me tonight.

Nobody's reported how far off to the side of the road the truck was. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that the bus driver might have seen the truck too late and tried to get around it but was hemmed in by vehicles on his left. That area is quite hilly and the bus had just come around a left turn (see map on this page http://www.rochesterdandc.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EWS01/50129004)

Strangest thing. Happened in broad daylight and there wasn't any snow to speak of (which also meant the bus was going full speed). Those poor kids and their families.

This is exactly why roadside parking is BANNED on highways except for emergencies. Your dog having to take a piss is not an emergency. All the driver had to do was get off at exit 7 (see map). It's not like it was a 40-mile stretch of unbroken road.

Look at the impact. What was the bus driver doing ? Looks like he drove off the road himself.  :w00t:  Those poor kids.

222821[/snapback]

All three local TV stations reported that the driver of the bus "is a person of interest". There are reports that the bus swirved into the truck. When I saw the picture on the news, it was so awful. The bus was cut in half! I'm surprised that more on the bus weren't killed.

Nobody's reported how far off to the side of the road the truck was.  If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that the bus driver might have seen the truck too late and tried to get around it but was hemmed in by vehicles on his left.  That area is quite hilly and the bus had just come around a left turn (see map on this page http://www.rochesterdandc.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EWS01/50129004)

Strangest thing.  Happened in broad daylight and there wasn't any snow to speak of (which also meant the bus was going full speed).  Those poor kids and their families.

This is exactly why roadside parking is BANNED on highways except for emergencies.  Your dog having to take a piss is not an emergency.  All the driver had to do was get off at exit 7 (see map).  It's not like it was a 40-mile stretch of unbroken road.

222839[/snapback]

From what I've heard on the news....the Truck driver pulled off the road completely. The way it looks, the damn bus swirved INTO it. They better investigate the bus driver thoroughly. I wonder if he was drinking. whatever the case, there will be a bunch of lawsuits.

All three local TV stations reported that the driver of the bus "is a person of interest". There are reports that the bus swirved into the truck.  When I saw the picture on the news, it was so awful. The bus was cut in half!  I'm surprised that more on the bus weren't killed.

222999[/snapback]

That's what I heard too. Supposedly, the truck driver was behind the truck walking the dog, so he was killed instantly. The biggest shocker IMO is that there were 2 people that weren't injured at all. 4 people died, 3 were in the bus...but a few are critically injured. It sounds like they are going to be alright though.

From seeing the photos and images...its pretty amazing.

From what I've heard on the news....the Truck driver pulled off the road completely.  The way it looks, the damn bus swirved INTO it.  They better investigate the bus driver thoroughly.  I wonder if he was drinking.  whatever the case, there will be a bunch of lawsuits.

223224[/snapback]

That's what I hear too. Still there are a number of questions. Did the bus blow out a tire? Did someone cut him off or force him to the right? (I know, it would have to be a pretty big vehicle.) Did one of the dogs run out into the road? (I know, I'd have just run over the dog given the choice). Was there a disruption inside the bus? Lots of questions. Fortunately there are enough survivors to answer a lot of those questions.

And why oh why did the truck driver even pull over on a highway, and under a bridge to boot? (Less room for maneuvering through in case someone cut the bus off.) It wasn't raining or snowing. He didn't have a blowout or some other emergency