There was this one play/alignment I can't figure out

BringBackFergy

Maybe you guys can help me out. I seem to recall the backfield was in a "pseudo wishbone" but then the TE slid out, there was some razzle dazzle misdirection and a large gain. Whatever it was, I had never seen it before (on any team) and wanted to give a shout out to Hackett for designing a nice play when a first down was needed. I looked through the ESPN game log and found these two plays. I thought it ended up with CJ going to the right side, but this play says left. It may have been the Gragg play. I remember it playing out from left to right on the tv. Can anyone help me out on how this play worked...I forgot to write it down.

1st and 10 at BUF 25 (8:44) (Shotgun) E.Manuel pass short right to C.Gragg pushed ob at BUF 39 for 14 yards (J.Jenkins).

1st and 10 at BUF 37 (2:07) (Shotgun) C.Spiller left tackle pushed ob at MIA 16 for 47 yards (J.Wilson).

Edited by BringBackFergy

Here is a replay of the Spiller run you mentioned:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/CJ_Spiller_47yard_run/dc62605b-1cff-49e4-8ec9-d6f0bd572f0a

2 WRs close in to the right side, one to the left. EJ in a shotgun with CJ behind him, and another guy in the backfield closer to the line and offset to the right. Fake end around to Watkins after the handoff to CJ, who bounces outside.

Watch Henderson handle Wake on this! He pops Wake back a yard or two and CJ bounces right between them.

kj

Here is a replay of the Spiller run you mentioned:

http://www.buffalobi...c9-d6f0bd572f0a

2 WRs close in to the right side, one to the left. EJ in a shotgun with CJ behind him, and another guy in the backfield closer to the line and offset to the right. Fake end around to Watkins after the handoff to CJ, who bounces outside.

Watch Henderson handle Wake on this! He pops Wake back a yard or two and CJ bounces right between them.

kj

That's the one. Thanks for finding that. The ESPN summary said off left tackle...I guess that's why I was confused. It was set up beautifully to show Sammy as potential reverse. It looked like a counter to some extent (the delay in the backfield) but Seantrel busted that wide open. I like the creativity. Nice job Hackett.

The Gragg play was also quite nice. I love that kind of misdirection/play-action stuff. Use a fake, get the QB moving, hit the TE moving the same way, let him run. Very nice play design and execution. Gragg is a ways away from being a good TE, but he's a good enough athlete to turn that play from a 6 or 7 yard gain to the 14 yard gain he got.