Using extra trade back picks to build a winner

I thought I would approach the trade back talk a little differently and focus on the type of talent those extra picks might make available to the Bills to build the team for the now, and the future. I only listed extra picks from 2nd though 7th we might pick up through a trade back deal. I purposely skipped Round 1, since it most likely would be a swap of position, not an extra pick.

With the depth of talent in this years draft in the 2nd, you choose players that you hope will not only be solid, but will someday be in the conversation about being Pro Bowlers at their respective positions.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE 2nd

Morgan Moses OT 2nd

David Yankey, OG 2nd

Trent Murphy, DE 2nd

Troy Niklas, TE 2nd

In this deep draft you expect 3rd rounders to be the foundation of your team. If you are lucky, they become Pro Bowlers. But you are happy if they just become solid players that anchor your team’s strengths.

Donte Moncrief, WR 3rd

C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE 3rd

Dakota Dozier, OG 3rd

In this deep draft in the 4th you choose players who may never become pro bowlers, but are solid good players who you expect to contribute very soon and for a number of years. They become part of the steady but not splashy foundation of your team.

Cyril Richardson, OG 4th

Kenneth Ladler, FS 4th

Christian Jones, ILB 4th

Shayne Skov, ILB 4th

In the 5th you take players you think have the potential to blossom in a few years, or as depth and as backups. And hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Aaron Murray, QB 5th

Andre Williams, RB 5th

Crockett Gillmore, TE 5th

In the 6th or 7th you take players with high rewards/ high risk. Either they make it big or they crash and burn. You don’t expect them to contribute much the first year. Included are those that have 1st round talent & skills but, character issues that can easily cause them to crash and burn. (Lyerla & Lynch)

Cody Latimer, WR 6th

Colt Lyerla, TE 6th

Aaron Lynch, DE 6th

Hakeem Smith, SS 7th

Tre Boston, FS 7th

Logan Thomas, QB 7th

Ethan Westbrooks, DE 7th

If they make it through the draft, you quickly gobble them up as UDFAs and give them a shot.

Edited by simpleman

I thought I would approach the trade back talk a little differently and focus on the type of talent those extra picks might make available to the Bills to build the team for the now, and the future. I only listed extra picks from 2nd though 7th we might pick up through a trade back deal. I purposely skipped Round 1, since it most likely would be a swap of position, not an extra pick.

With the depth of talent in this years draft in the 2nd, you choose players that you hope will not only be solid, but will someday be in the conversation about being Pro Bowlers at their respective positions.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE 2nd

Morgan Moses OT 2nd

David Yankey, OG 2nd

Trent Murphy, DE 2nd

Troy Niklas, TE 2nd

In this deep draft you expect 3rd rounders to be the foundation of your team. If you are lucky, they become Pro Bowlers. But you are happy if they just become solid players that anchor your team’s strengths.

Donte Moncrief, WR 3rd

C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE 3rd

Dakota Dozier, OG 3rd

In this deep draft in the 4th you choose players who may never become pro bowlers, but are solid good players who you expect to contribute very soon and for a number of years. They become part of the steady but not splashy foundation of your team.

Cyril Richardson, OG 4th

Kenneth Ladler, FS 4th

Christian Jones, ILB 4th

Shayne Skov, ILB 4th

In the 5th you take players you think have the potential to blossom in a few years, or as depth and as backups. And hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Aaron Murray, QB 5th

Andre Williams, RB 5th

Crockett Gillmore, TE 5th

In the 6th or 7th you take players with high rewards/ high risk. Either they make it big or they crash and burn. You don’t expect them to contribute much the first year. Included are those that have 1st round talent & skills but, character issues that can easily cause them to crash and burn. (Lyerla & Lynch)

Cody Latimer, WR 6th

Colt Lyerla, TE 6th

Aaron Lynch, DE 6th

Hakeem Smith, SS 7th

Tre Boston, FS 7th

Logan Thomas, QB 7th

Ethan Westbrooks, DE 7th

If they make it through the draft, you quickly gobble them up as UDFAs and give them a shot.

I like the way you broke this down. But, unless many off the best players at their positions are gone for impact positions I don't think trading back from the 1st or 2nd round is worth it. Especially, the way you broke it down it shows the ROI (or lack there of) of trading back is not worth the better player in the 1st or 2nd round.

Good post, thanks!

Many pics after the 5th round don't work out, yes I know there are exceptions like Stevie Johnson in the 7 but the bills have a track record of 6th and 7th round pick flaming out, so why not use the 6th and 7th round pick to move up in the second third and fourth round and get better players if they're not going to make the team anyway.