NHL owners and players

It seems the NHL is trying to shove a lot more than just a salary cap to the players. They won't allow free agency for the players, instead making cut players be dispersed in a draft! That's caca! The NHL has not even given a revenue sharing number to the players yet!

It seems to me the answer is to phase in a cap. Just like the helmet rule. The cap only applies to players who join the league after 2005. It would take 5-10 years, but then you'd have the cap without making current players take a cut.

Something tells me that the NHL has something up their sleeves, like blowing up the NHL and starting from scratch next year. I wonder if they would even include cities like Buffalo in a new league?

PTR

It seems the NHL is trying to shove a lot more than just a salary cap to the players.  They won't allow free agency for the players, instead making cut players be dispersed in a draft!  That's caca!  The NHL has not even given a revenue sharing number to the players yet!

It seems to me the answer is to phase in a cap.  Just like the helmet rule.  The cap only applies to players who join the league after 2005.  It would take 5-10 years, but then you'd have the cap without making current players take a cut.

Something tells me that the NHL has something up their sleeves, like blowing up the NHL and starting from scratch next year.  I wonder if they would even include cities like Buffalo in a new league?

PTR

214494[/snapback]

Well if I was running the NHL, I would keep 'em. Part of the mess comes from all of these lame southern teams. The NHL should back to being regional, it makes more sense and it is more stable that way.