Bills' front office structure

I'm not going to be one to talk up a team that hasn't really achieved anything. But it seems to me in examining this scenario with the Browns and how it might play out should they have another losing season, that the Bills at least have a front office where the roles are pretty clearly defined and people are on the same page.

I'm hoping, based on the way Russ presented things last year, that he is letting football people make football decisions and that Whaley is providing a roster that works in concert with Marrone's approach to running a team. So far after a year, the results haven't been dynamite, but what we're not hearing is of any internal discord or disagreements on approach, or dissatisfaction with the players provided - except for maybe on special teams. I imagine that the internal rumbling from the players about needed changes will be something that the front office finds pretty universal agreement on.

Clearly, we have to hope that this is all true and that this continues, so they have something to build upon. But it's nice to not hear, yet, of any fundamental disagreements of the sort that lead to the cycle of a new coach, new systems installed, need for new players to fit those systems, and on and on. Despite the regular call for blood that follows a losing season, I'm glad we're not where the Browns are right now.

The hinge pins for 2014 are EJ Manuel and Marrone. If Manuel succeeds, everybody looks good. If he doesn't, the question of what to do with him could be a potential wrestling match among Marrone-Brandon-Whaley. Here's hoping it's the former.

I am interested to see what happens to the team if Pettine does in fact leave . He & his D were the one bright spot last year .

Marrone could show if he's got a set by firing Crossman which should be priority 1 & then i hope they are looking at other D coordinators that have a lot better resume than good friend being the top priority ..

This should be a interesting off season & some what of a proving ground for the staff to see if what you said about Brandon letting Whaley do what he was hired to do & R.B. keeping to selling tickets & such ...