Bills #6 on List of Best Cap Situations

uncle flap

Several posters(myself included) arew not convinced of the ability to re-roll rollover money. The link from uncle flap a few posts earlier has the sportrac website thinking this way.....plus the wording of the CBA looks like it doesn't work this way. I really hope it does......but I'm doubtful.

From the CBA: The amount of Room carried over will be adjusted downward based on the final room available after the year-end reconciliation.

The year end reconciliation is simply the accrual of NLTBEs that do count, grievances won, etc..If what you are believing was the case you would never get teams like the Eagles being able to carry over $23 million this past season

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The year end reconciliation is simply the accrual of NLTBEs that do count, grievances won, etc..If what you are believing was the case you would never get teams like the Eagles being able to carry over $23 million this past season

Yeah, these are the sort of things that have had me unsure of the situation.

The spotrac(a cap specialty site) link earlier saying:

No. Rollover money from 2012 into 2013 is treated as "adjusted cap". Any unused "adjusted" money in 2013 cannot be rolled over again into 2014.

....in combination with the wording of the CBA....

The amount of Room carried over will be adjusted downward based on the final room available after the year-end reconciliation.

....has me still in two minds.

As I said before, I hope you are right as the extra $10m will be very handy(and it also would clear all negativity from people in regards to the Fitz money).

I'm happy not making up my mind one way or the other till the new caps are announced.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dibs - - in an older thread we discussed whether unused cap room could be "re-rolled." The discussion in this thread spurred me to google search the issue again, but I still can't find anything definitive.

I did have an additional thought, however. The provision of the 2011 CBA that allows rollover of unused cap room was designed to replace the commonly used gimmick of creating performance-based bonuses that temporarily counted against the cap in year 1, but when not actually earned the unpaid $$ would roll over and be added to the team's salary cap in year 2. Because there was no restriction on the ability to repeat the process with new gimmicky bonuses in year 2 as far as I know, the old system didn't result in any unused cap money from year 1 "evaporating" if it wasn't used in year 2.

If the new system was merely designed to simplify things, as seems likely, there shouldn't ever be any "evaporation" of unused year 1 cap money if it isn't spent in year 2 (assuming the team elects to use its option of electing to roll it over).

Certainly not definitive, but maybe the history of how the rollover option came to exist in the 2011 CBA gives more hope that unused cap money in year 1 doesn't simply "evaporate" if not spent in year 2.

Hey Dibs - - in an older thread we discussed whether unused cap room could be "re-rolled." The discussion in this thread spurred me to google search the issue again, but I still can't find anything definitive.

I did have an additional thought, however. The provision of the 2011 CBA that allows rollover of unused cap room was designed to replace the commonly used gimmick of creating performance-based bonuses that temporarily counted against the cap in year 1, but when not actually earned the unpaid $$ would roll over and be added to the team's salary cap in year 2. Because there was no restriction on the ability to repeat the process with new gimmicky bonuses in year 2 as far as I know, the old system didn't result in any unused cap money from year 1 "evaporating" if it wasn't used in year 2.

If the new system was merely designed to simplify things, as seems likely, there shouldn't ever be any "evaporation" of unused year 1 cap money if it isn't spent in year 2 (assuming the team elects to use its option of electing to roll it over).

Certainly not definitive, but maybe the history of how the rollover option came to exist in the 2011 CBA gives more hope that unused cap money in year 1 doesn't simply "evaporate" if not spent in year 2.

I'm hoping re-roll will be the case.......but I am still doubtful. I find it difficult to see the owners accepting such a deal as it would be tantamount to spending every cent of the cap & would also make the cap floor redundant.

Not in the first year(s) of course.....but running under the assumption that teams always apply for the full rollover, this will shortly lead to teams having massive amounts of excess cap dollars($50-$100+) which will just keep building. At some point teams will have to start spending the excess(even for merely appearance sake)......and likely need to massively front load contracts in order to not destroy future caps.

It could set up a system of spend the minimum for 8 years....then massively front load several stars in order to win.

I guess we will find out in a couple of months. :)

Edited by Dibs