Russell Wilson Film Study

thebandit27

I know he's a hot topic on this board, but that's not the reason for this post.

Cian Fahey does perhaps the best work in highlighting the finer points of players' efforts of anyone that produces free material, and his latest Film Study for Football Outsiders on Russell Wilson is outstanding:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2013/film-room-russell-wilson

Goes to show just how good Wilson is playing right now.

thanks for the post bandit.

with man coverage on all three of his receivers, they're probably all default to 'go' routes - leaving Wilson to find the best match-up, and pull guys back - in this play he chose his slot receiver vs the FS. i'm thinking the combination of hand signals were instructing the WR to Baldwins left to break off his pattern, allowing Wilson and Baldwin to adjust their route/throw to the FS's technique (it's blocked on the pic, but i bet the other WR sat down, too). Wilson was smart enough to see Baldwin had outside position, and was accurate enough throw it there.

this is basic stuff, but well executed. as important as it was for Wilson, Baldwin and the other receivers to be on the same page this play, it's just as important that his protection calls were executed so well.

from the small sample of All-22 from our TB game, i've seen piss poor route running, badly designed routes that draw defenders into passing lanes, and missed blocking assignments. Manuel could make this play with ease, and probably has (someone could check the TD pass to Goodwin against the Jets), but when his protection breaks down, and the play is poorly designed, and his receivers get lazy - well, we look how we look.

ps - talking about 2nd play shown

Edited by BackInDaDay

thanks for the post bandit.

with man coverage on all three of his receivers, they're probably all default to 'go' routes - leaving Wilson to find the best match-up, and pull guys back - in this play he chose his slot receiver vs the FS. i'm thinking the combination of hand signals were instructing the WR to Baldwins left to break off his pattern, allowing Wilson and Baldwin to adjust their route/throw to the FS's technique (it's blocked on the pic, but i bet the other WR sat down, too). Wilson was smart enough to see Baldwin had outside position, and was accurate enough throw it there.

this is basic stuff, but well executed. as important as it was for Wilson, Baldwin and the other receivers to be on the same page this play, it's just as important that his protection calls were executed so well.

from the small sample of All-22 from our TB game, i've seen piss poor route running, badly designed routes that draw defenders into passing lanes, and missed blocking assignments. Manuel could make this play with ease, and probably has (someone could check the TD pass to Goodwin against the Jets), but when his protection breaks down, and the play is poorly designed, and his receivers get lazy - well, we look how we look.

ps - talking about 2nd play shown

Agree with most of this...I do wonder, however, if EJ is comfortable enough to set the protections properly and make the throw in the face of Cover-0 like that.

Doesn't mean he won't/can't become so; I'm just not sure he's there yet.

as a rookie, it would be surprising for him to be savvy enough to read it right all the time. but Hackett should be coaching him up each week where and how he thinks the opponent will bring pressure, and what protections/audibles they have to adjust. my problem is watching linemen pass rushers off to blocking backs who are either late to help, or not there at all. that's really bad communication at a NFL level. even if EJ's recognition skills are dull, we've got some veteran guys who should be able to bail out their QB.

as far as making the throws.. right now he may have a problem hitting you in your front yard. that's why i'd like to see the coaches run some things that let him get out of the pocket.. give him run/pass options.. let him play football before getting back to Pocket Passer 101.

I know he's a hot topic on this board, but that's not the reason for this post.

Cian Fahey does perhaps the best work in highlighting the finer points of players' efforts of anyone that produces free material, and his latest Film Study for Football Outsiders on Russell Wilson is outstanding:

http://www.footballo...-russell-wilson

Goes to show just how good Wilson is playing right now.

That guy gets taller every day! He must be up to 6'3" by now.