The read-option offense

Interesting this year that the read-option offense was supposed to be all the rage yet like most offensive gimmicks - DC's have gone back to college, done their homework and have figured out ways to neutralize it more often than not.

I think with mobile QBs the read option should always be in the mix, but relying on it too much sets your QB up for being lit up and injured. I am actually relieved that Marrone is bringing EJ along differently - making him learn to read defenses and go through his progressions. Rookies already have a tendancy to tuck the ball and run and I do not think they would be doing EJ too many favors in the long run by playing into that tendancy.

Just like the wildcat...every new "craze" eventually dies with defenses figuring it out. Seattle (not as much), Pats, and NE are all undefeated just throwing or running the ball (conventionally) down the opponents throats. Washington and San Fran are 3-6.

Seattle runs the read option with Russell Wiilson. That said, I do believe that the NFL Defensive Coordinators have started punishing the QBs when they run then read option and that alone will slow down it's use. I think it is a weapon that the Bills should use occasionally, but it's not a full time offense for them.

Just like the wildcat...every new "craze" eventually dies with defenses figuring it out. Seattle (not as much), Pats, and NE are all undefeated just throwing or running the ball (conventionally) down the opponents throats. Washington and San Fran are 3-6.

I hope the Pats and NE are still undefeated when they play each other. Should be a fun game.

GO BILLS!!!