Manuel vs. Ravens D

YoloinOhio

Seriously, if there was one play that Captain Chan clearly excelled at conceptualizing, it was the screen. No matter the announcer last year, they all couldn't rave enough about the design and execution of the screens, from QB to OL to RB... and even the WRs blocking.

Spiller yes, good in space, and did well with the screens.

FredEx I would argue was even better, with his magical slide around his OLinemen executing blocks, and his sixth sense of where the tacklers are...

I have not catalogued our offensive plays this year, so I might have missed something, but I can tell you absolutely for sure that I personally have not seen one screen play attempted yet.

Maybe Fred and CJ can draw one up from memory for Hackett?

This is what I have been saying... the coaches obviously have film of last year's offense? Plus Marrone says he is meeting with the captains weekly to get their thoughts on what isn't working and things they should do? FJ is a captain. You KNOW he remembers the screens.

That was the worst game the Ravens defense had all season. Not even Brees, Brady, Ryan or Schaub put up numbers like Fitzpatrick. Not really indicative of how good or bad, their defense was that year. The Bills put up close to 200 yards more then the Ravens allowed on average. No team is fairly measured by their best or worst game.

2011, the defense was 3rd in points, and 3rd in yards. Suggs was league DPOY and Ngata was also a top candidate. That was the year before last. Not exactly ancient history. Last years defense was average, which is why they basicly cleaned house. They still need some time to gel this year, with all the new pieces. But against Cleveland and Houston, there was no glearing weaknesses, although the front 7 is clearly ahead of the secondary.

I certainly think the Ravens defense is more talented then the Jets. But that was an away game and this is a home game, and the Ravens are kinda schitzophrenic, so who knows what will happen.

They were an above average defense in 2011, but nothing to be feared… They have secondary issues, have for some time. Their pass rush has been inconsistent for awhile… as are many teams.

I agree that the screen game is lacking. What's even more apparent to me is the need to execute more 3-step patterns early on vs aggressive defenses. EJ's level of comfort is going to be crucial to helping him get off to a fast start, so working those quick hit patterns (1 and 2 routes) is a must. Even if they go for 4 or 5 yards, the long term benefit of widening the pass rushers and loosening the inside backers will bear itself out in the Bills' favor.