EJ - From those at the game

Virgil

I was at the first game and was blown away for how EJ played in his home opener against the Patriots. In trying to keep perspective around what we should expect out of the kid. And for the first game, outside an under thrown deep ball that was almost picked off, I really couldn't pick out much I would expect a rookie to do.

However, in watching the game today, there were some things that I felt he missed, but didn't have the luxury of seeing the whole field as I was back home in Virginia.

First off, the kids poise is still mind blowing to me. No matter what he does out there, he just looks like he is in control of the team, game flow, and his emotions. Above all else, he doesn't look overwhelmed, confused by the defense, and doesn't move in the pocket unless he has too.

My concerns with his game were this:

• Deep balls still don't look even close. It looked like TJ had his guy beat but really had to stop for the ball
  • On their first drive in the red zone, looks like he had WR's wide open on crossing patterns in the endzone, but he dropped to his dumb off too quickly
  • On the INT, he just stared down the WR and made it easy.

Listen, I love EJ. I mean, i think he would be afraid to meet me with my level of man crush. And again, I realize that this is his second game starting as a rookie. I'm more excited about his development this year than anything else. Besides his deep ball accuracy, there is nothing I'm seeing that isn't fixable and won't get better. I'm thrilled with him so far. I just like to break down his development. I would love to be in the film room when they review tape on Tuesday.