AVP as color man....what did people think?

tornado681

I was only home in BUF once this season, and thus only listened to Murph and AVP once, but needless to say I was very impressed. AVP's knowledge of the game was evident and had a great knack for picking apart the plays and describing the type of defense used, blitzing scheme, etc. I thought Murph was great as play by play...hopefully this duo will be the voice of the Bills for years to come...Comments?

I like AVP a lot. He definitely does not have a great radio voice, but he seemed to get more comfortable as the year went on. He gives another layer of expertise with his knowledge of the NFL playbooks. He will give details about why a given play did or didn't work, who missed an assignment, for example, or which blocker really nailed his assignment away from the ball to spring the runner, etc...

Also, I think it's cool how much he just sounds like a regular guy. It's hard to believe he was an NFL QB. He sounds like some guy you get drunk with, except that he knows football about 10,000 times better than you.

AVP was fantastic. Honestly, he's too bright about schemes to be sitting behind the mic. He should be coaching. Midseason I started listening to the broadcast while watching the games.

204386[/snapback]

Didn't the delay drive you crazy?

AVP is looking to get into coaching, so I don't know how long he'll be around. This could be his one and only year in the booth.

I'm pretty sure I heard that AVP has been hired as QBs coach at Univ of Pitt (with Wannstedt), but I only heard that somewhere, didn't read anything confirming it.

From what I heard, it was mixed for both of them. Murphy obviously has the knowledge and experience, having been in the booth for almost 20 years and covering the Bills on a weekly basis. My roommate says, and I agree, about him though that something's missing that Van had - emotion, and the ability to portray that over the dial. I never really got the sense that he was excited the Bills had scored or made a great play - which you would usually expect a play-by-play man to be even-keeled, but this is the hometown guy (see Jeanerett for further example). Overall he was good as a play-by-play guy, though, and should improve.

AVP, who I love to death and named my fantasy football team after, also had his plusses and minuses. Having season tickets I didn't get a chance to hear much, but it seemed that AVP was either explaining some nuances or traits that he noticed on the field, as he had much knowledge of the team and league he just retired from, and also the unbridled excitement of a school boy. On nearly every big play for the Bills, you can hear Murph making the call with "GO BABY!!!!" or "YEAAAA!!!" in the background, as he obvioulsy is still a huge Bills fan and acted just as he would on the sidelines. Also evidenced in that IIRC he picked the Bills to win EVERY GAME this year on the pregame show - he was 9-6 going into the Pittsburgh game. At least he was honest. But his analysis was very good, obviously due to his knowledge the game. That is invaluable in an analyst. To actually ANALYZE the play.

Overall I'd say they were both ok - and Peck is a solid sidelines guy - will be interesting to see who will replace him if he does in fact go to Pitt.

Yeah, I heard parts of a couple of games. Pretty cool to hear the audible and he chimes and and says what the play is. I enjoyed what I heard. Too bad I can't stand the lack of synch between radio and TV (especially when I end up having to pause the game :doh: ), or I'd listen to them while watching the game...

Didn't the delay drive you crazy?

AVP is looking to get into coaching, so I don't know how long he'll be around.  This could be his one and only year in the booth.

204392[/snapback]

Up the freaking wall!!! But, I could deal with it considering Criqui & Tasker are basically a joke as a broadcast team.

Alex and I talked about this in Cincy. He loves the radio but wants to coach. He is truly too intelligent to sit behind the action at this young age. I told him how much I and others would miss him. He promised to keep in touch via E-mail and I can pass along any news he tells me to you all. This really tears at me because he is such a special guy.

When they brought him back(Flutie's groin injury) after being cut for the off season I was at camp, he and his wife had one 2yr old at the time and he was so happy to be back. Then the big chance to ne the first string QB and they signed Drew. Alex has always been class. I wish him all the success in the world.