Has there ever been a HC that coached his college QB?

brenty

I have been thinking and googled a little but I never could find anything. Has there ever been a headcoach that coached his college QB?

I don't want to make this in a Nassib convo, but just curious to see if there has been and what was the outcome.

If Marrone drafts Nassib at #8, I'll be very excited. I believe NOBODY would criticize Marrone if he did not pick Nassib. However, if selected, that means Nassib's college coach (and his OC) have such strong feelings about his talent they are willing to make a bold move that would define their tenure with the Bills.

Mike Sherman is the OC in Miami who ended up drafting the QB he coached in college

i really dont want Nassib or Barkley so you can bet the house the Bills will draft one of them

Edited by Max997

Like i said, I don't want to make this in a Nassib draft thread. I was just curious. Ya and sherman isn't doing that bad of a job with tannehill. Very cool stuff though, knowing there was never a head coach who coached his college qb.

Petrino coached Redmond for a short time.

Fairbanks coached Mildren at Okla and NE, but he converted him to safety cuz he was a wishbone qb at okla. Fairbanks also brought nt sugarbear hamilton with him.

Chip Kelly just brought in his former qb Dennis Dixon.

Coughlin brought in his son in law Chris Snee ( he didn't coach him at BC though).

In general, college coaches don't fare well in the NFL... and especially not if they have no NFL experience, I'm not sure, but I thought Spurrier might have brought in one of his qbs from Fla. when he coached the skins.

Coughlin and Caroll have solid NFL roots, as does Marrone. And, although Harbaugh didn't have NFL coaching experience, he did have a long NFL career and a father who coached in the NFL for a long time. Schiano also had a short stint in the NFL.