Carlos Beltran free to sign with anyone

millbank

The thing about Beltran is this.  He's a 40/40 type player but this dollar ammount  is based on his performance over 12 games!!!!  He batted .267 last year.  He just got 119 million dollars for his performance over a 12 game stretch.

199465[/snapback]

Agree to disagree BF and point well taken. I think a player like Beltrans playoffs DEFINATELY skyrocketed his value and please keep in mind who is agent is (Bora$$) who will get every last penny from a team no matter what the cost. I fully expect every person who is not a Met fan to rip apart this move and criticize it until opening day. If you are a diehard Met fan like myslef you know how badly needed this signing was and how different he is than the fat contracts of the past (Appier, Burnitz, Vaughn) and know how special of a player this guy really is and can be. I don't think pointing at his batting average (overrated stat anyways) is the best tool to go by, but unfortunately for most fans that is the first thing they look at and base how good a player he is. Think of all the intangibles Beltran brings to the Mets. He single handily can lure other players in, more fans to Shea, and better ratings all which equal more revenue for Mr. Wilpon. I think of this move more of a business move for their future and the Mets TV neetwork in 2006 than anything. I think the best...errr I mean I am praying to God that the best years are about to come and finally some excitement is headed back to Queens.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree to disagree BF and point well taken.  I think a player like Beltrans playoffs DEFINATELY skyrocketed his value and please keep in  mind who is agent is (Bora$$) who will get every last penny from a team no matter what the cost. I fully expect every person who is not a Met fan to rip apart this move and criticize it until opening day. If you are a diehard Met fan like myslef you know how badly needed this signing was and how different he is than the fat contracts of the past (Appier, Burnitz, Vaughn) and know  how special of a player this guy really is and can be.  I don't think pointing at his batting average (overrated stat anyways) is the best tool to go by, but unfortunately for most fans that is the first thing they look at and base how good a player he is.  Think of all the intangibles Beltran brings to the Mets. He single handily can lure other players in, more fans to Shea, and better ratings all which equal more revenue for Mr.  Wilpon.  I think of this move more of a business move for their future and the Mets TV neetwork in 2006 than anything.  I think the best...errr I mean I am praying to God that the best years are about to come and finally some excitement is headed back to Queens.

199491[/snapback]

I'm not a Mets fan (currently a fan of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of the United States of America of Earth, or whatever we're called this week) but I think the move is good. Hell, if they have the money, spend it! The Mets should be second in resources only to the Yankees so use them.

Getting Pedro and Beltran in one offseason (even overpaying) puts the Mets back on the map as a premier franchise. They needed this offseason.

As for Beltran's BA, his OBP and OPS probably make up for it nicely. And he's a GG center fielder. I watched him in Houston and I've never seen anyone else handle that hill at the wall so well. He's a natural.

Um, the Yankees don't win???  Playing in 6 of the last 9 World Series is not winning?  How many playoff games have the Redskins played in?  The Mets=Redskins!!!  The Yanks get something for their money at least and have spent it wisely this year on Pitching not on a guy who will hit 40 home runs but bat .270.  Go Mets

199386[/snapback]

Bingo.

Agree to disagree BF and point well taken.  I think a player like Beltrans playoffs DEFINATELY skyrocketed his value and please keep in  mind who is agent is (Bora$$) who will get every last penny from a team no matter what the cost. I fully expect every person who is not a Met fan to rip apart this move and criticize it until opening day. If you are a diehard Met fan like myslef you know how badly needed this signing was and how different he is than the fat contracts of the past (Appier, Burnitz, Vaughn) and know  how special of a player this guy really is and can be.  I don't think pointing at his batting average (overrated stat anyways) is the best tool to go by, but unfortunately for most fans that is the first thing they look at and base how good a player he is.  Think of all the intangibles Beltran brings to the Mets. He single handily can lure other players in, more fans to Shea, and better ratings all which equal more revenue for Mr.  Wilpon.  I think of this move more of a business move for their future and the Mets TV neetwork in 2006 than anything.  I think the best...errr I mean I am praying to God that the best years are about to come and finally some excitement is headed back to Queens.

199491[/snapback]

I'm not going to rip Beltran as a player, he's a damn good player, but when you pump almost 30 million a year into two players you are going to have to neglect a portion of your team down the road. Even the Yankees have done that (pitching) by pumping so much into the superstar players they have overpaid for.

It's official Met fans!!  Beltran is a MET!! 7 years/119 Million.

Let the Met bashing begin, because we all know how everyone (especially Yank fans) love to rip any move the Mets make.  Did the Mets overpay?  Of course but to get someone of his caliber and with Boras as his agent the Mets had to do this. Not only do the Mets have a new TV network in the works for '06 to plan for, but they have to get the faith back in their fans and win them back.  Delgado is next......

link:  http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/met...-span-headlines

199294[/snapback]

Im a Yankee fans and this is a GREAT signing for the Mets. So again, why do Yankess fans HAVE to be mentioned? Enjoy the great moment for the METS and stop worrying about the Yankees.

Its so $ad to see other fans ob$e$$ about the Yankees.

The Mets should be second in resources only to the Yankees so use them. 

Listen to some of the Mets fans that call WFAN 660 in NYC..they almost WANT to think their team is a small market, they call their owner Fred "Coupon"...its almost comical, in fact, it is comical... Heres a memo Sal from West Islip: The Mets arent a small market. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm not going to rip Beltran as a player, he's a damn good player, but when you pump almost 30 million a year into two players you are going to have to neglect a portion of your team down the road.  Even the Yankees have done that (pitching) by pumping so much into the superstar players they have overpaid for.

199735[/snapback]

I think it's a brilliant move. They are going to up their revenue significantly by making themselves attractive to a Hispanic fanbase. Besides, these moves look shrewd next to signing Mo Vaughn.

I think it's a brilliant move.  They are going to up their revenue significantly by making themselves attractive to a Hispanic fanbase.  Besides, these moves look shrewd next to signing Mo Vaughn.

199860[/snapback]

They never signed Mo Vaughn. They traded Kevin Appier to the Angels for him. Appier posted a sub 4.00 ERA the next season and helped the Angels win the World Series. The Mets inherited a horrible contract and Mo Vaughn imploded (which is a lot of imploding given his size).

They never signed Mo Vaughn.  They traded Kevin Appier to the Angels for him.  Appier posted a sub 4.00 ERA the next season and helped the Angels win the World Series.  The Mets inherited a horrible contract and Mo Vaughn imploded (which is a lot of imploding given his size).

200164[/snapback]

You're right, my bad.

How about those starting pitchers?  How about a yawner of a world series performance?

199864[/snapback]

The starting pitching improved with Mulder added to the rotation and Morris will be healthy this year. Rick Ankiel could step into the rotation and if he pitches like he did in 2000 our rotation will be VERY good.

As of right now it looks like this.

Mulder

Carpenter

Morris

Suppan

Marquis

It has the potential to be very good.

What about the World Series? We played horribly over a 4 game stretch, that doesn't mean we aren't a great team does it?

The Yanks get something for their money at least and have spent it wisely this year on Pitching not on a guy who will hit 40 home runs but bat .270. 

199386[/snapback]

Yeah, the Yankees got that guy LAST year (for $25MM per) :D