The zero huddle offense

To execute the zero-huddle offense, you'd have the offense memorize a set of ten plays. During the game, your offense would line up and execute the first play in the set. Then, without anyone talking to anyone else, your offense would immediately line up to execute the next play.

The playcalling could be a lot more complex than with a no-huddle; the defense would have even less time between plays to make adjustments. The disadvantage would be that you'd sometime run standard running plays in third and long situations, but even that could be an advantage, because it would make you a lot harder to predict. Besides that, once a drive got rolling, you wouldn't be in very many third and long situations in the first place.

If executed well, this offense could demoralize, confuse, and overwhelm any defense unfortunate enough to go up against it.

I guess I should clarify the above post by saying that you'd run the ten plays you'd memorized, one after another, with no breaks or anything in between. With the no huddle you call plays at the line of scrimmage, giving the defense the chance to do the same thing. With the zero-huddle, there would be no opportunity for the defense to call a different defensive play. If I were a defensive coordinator, I'd HATE to go up against this.

Give the starting qb that ten-pack of plays, and then let him call as he sees fit. Gotta be flexible, ya know...

198166[/snapback]

I admit you're losing your flexibility by locking in those ten plays right at the start of the drive, but the defense is locked into using the same play over and over. This type of attack puts pressure on both sides, but on the defense more than the offense.

I admit you're losing your flexibility by locking in those ten plays right at the start of the drive, but the defense is locked into using the same play over and over. This type of attack puts pressure on both sides, but on the defense more than the offense.

198183[/snapback]

It 's definitly worth a try. Sometimes I think that pro ball gets too complicated and micro-managed - let 'em play.

It 's definitly worth a try. Sometimes I think that pro ball gets too complicated and micro-managed - let 'em play.

198189[/snapback]

I agree with the sentiment, but this offense wouldn't exactly make things simpler. The offensive coordinator would have every opportunity to insert reverses, trick plays, or other complex plays into the ten play plan. It's just that you'd take away the defense's opportunity to call any plays at all!