Alex Smith--nothing to do w availability next yr

Tcali

.....If this is true and it's official the Chiefs don't want Geno Smith, then that's a huge red flag considering Andy Reed is a QB guru and he'd rather have the pedestrian Alex Smith. Also remember, the money allotment for #1 QB is no longer as substantial.

Perhaps.....or perhaps not.

The Chiefs are in the position to get one of the 2-3(typically) premium talents in the draft.....Geno not being considered one of them.

As one does not often get the chance to obtain one of those calibre of player.....and one might typically be able to regularly obtain a QB prospect of Geno's potential(6-15?).....perhaps they feel it a better choice not to pass on the "can't miss super-star" with the #1 pick.

Isn't it interesting how we all agree we need an upgrade at QB, but when an actual name is floated, nearly everyone balks because he's not the "one"?

Getting the "one" is a matter of luck. All I know is Fitz isn't the "one" and Smith could be the "one". I for one am ready to give him a chance, even if it means a big cap hit from Fitz.

There's a lot more chance that your 1st round drafted QB will become the "one" than there is for a 7 year veteran who has shown so far that he isn't the "one", becoming the "one".

That being said, there is more chance that the 7 year vet can become(maintain being) a good QB who can regularly win you games and get you into the playoffs.....but never take you to the promised land.

there is more chance that the 7 year vet can become(maintain being) a good QB who can regularly win you games and get you into the playoffs.....but never take you to the promised land.

Right now a QB who can regularly win ganes and get us to the playoffs would be a HUGE UPGRADE and I would be ecstatic to have him.

The "one" can come later when we have a defense that can win championships, which we do not have now.

Right now a QB who can regularly win ganes and get us to the playoffs would be a HUGE UPGRADE and I would be ecstatic to have him.

The "one" can come later when we have a defense that can win championships, which we do not have now.

Unfortunately it is not longer defenses that win championships(if it was ever true).

It is the "one" QB who wins championships......and has been for the past 20 years. (Data in this link: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/155525-how-to-win-a-super-bowl/?do=findComment&comment=2722647)

I personally believe having a QB like Alex Smith would be detrimental to a team wanting to win championships.

The logic goes......the QB is good enough to regularly provide winning seasons and playoffs.....therefore there is never any immediate imperative to find the "one" at QB by (regularly)wasting 1st round picks in the attempt. His salary would be relatively high, thus reducing the number of other good veterans on the team.....and unless all of the stars miraculously align and the entire team is stellar(very, very low odds), he will never provide a SB win.

Until he is aged or injured, the team will be stuck with above-averageness at best.

(It's why I'm happy for the cowboys to have a QB like Romo.)

It's good for the fans.....regular playoffs is what keeps us satisfied......but never the dizzying heights that the "one" QB would likely bring.

Geno and Donovan are like twins with their physical gifts for the QB position. The weird thing is that I get the same "the whole world is against me" vibe from Geno that Donovan has always had. If this is true and it's official the Chiefs don't want Geno Smith, then that's a huge red flag considering Andy Reed is a QB guru and he'd rather have the pedestrian Alex Smith. Also remember, the money allotment for #1 QB is no longer as substantial.

If drafting Geno Smith gets the BIlls deep in the playoffs every year and to the Super Bowl once, it would be one of the best picks the Bills have ever made. Reid could still want something different.

Unfortunately it is not longer defenses that win championships(if it was ever true).

It is the "one" QB who wins championships......and has been for the past 20 years. (Data in this link: http://forums.twobil...l/#entry2722647)

I personally believe having a QB like Alex Smith would be detrimental to a team wanting to win championships.

The logic goes......the QB is good enough to regularly provide winning seasons and playoffs.....therefore there is never any immediate imperative to find the "one" at QB by (regularly)wasting 1st round picks in the attempt. His salary would be relatively high, thus reducing the number of other good veterans on the team.....and unless all of the stars miraculously align and the entire team is stellar(very, very low odds), he will never provide a SB win.

Until he is aged or injured, the team will be stuck with above-averageness at best.

(It's why I'm happy for the cowboys to have a QB like Romo.)

It's good for the fans.....regular playoffs is what keeps us satisfied......but never the dizzying heights that the "one" QB would likely bring.

Well reasoned, and I'm not saying you're wrong. But I would be excited just to get to the playoffs in the next three years. SB is but a distant deam . . . I'm not holding out for the "one".

Well reasoned, and I'm not saying you're wrong. But I would be excited just to get to the playoffs in the next three years. SB is but a distant deam . . . I'm not holding out for the "one".

I hear ya....it seems a little futile wishing for the stars when the reality is we'll all be ecstatic if we simply managed to scrape into the playoffs. :thumbsup: