[closed]Gailey and the coaching pool

nodnarb

I'm surprised they did it. I like Chan a lot. Solid guy and a really good OC. His downfall was convincing Nix to hire his buddy and switch back to a 43 after two drafts designed for the 34. I think our D plus Fitzpatrick's many limitations did Gailey in. I believe he would have been successful with a middle of the road D and a QB that can throw the ball accurately and deep. Continuity is critical in this league. New scheme on offense yet again....and another slow start is likely.

But it sure did look ugly this year, and that's all that matters. BUT, I will say this: this is the worst year in many years to start over again. There are too many teams looking for a HC, so it's going to be that much harder to land THE GUY that everyone wants, whoever that might be. When was the last time the Bills hired a HC that other teams in the league were also after? We will likely continue down that same path, at least partly due to the reality of there being so many jobs in the league today. It might have been wiser to give Gailey and his staff one more year, with a new QB and a new D. There's not much of a transition between the Wanny 43 and any other 43, so it wouldn't be the same as switching it all up again like the switch to a different base scheme is.

I think there have been just as many mistakes in the draft in the past few years as there have been on the field, so I wonder where this is all going...

I would not be surprised to see Polian & Son back in charge; we just have to hope that whoever it is that hires the next HC understands that it has to be someone who understands that you have to be constantly innovating in this league to do much of anything. I believe the modern football approach to going for it on 4th instead of punting *whenever the numbers support it* is one small part of the "moneyball" approach to the game. I was in a Boston bar last night watching the Pats game with my Pats-loving cousin and Belichick went for it at least twice on 4th down from around mid field. Because the stats support doing so. The fans in this bar regarded these tactical decisions as a matter of course. Nobody even sneezed. Certainly nobody uttered "No! Punt! Punt!". And the Pats are on their way to another AFC title game. You can't coach conservatively anymore, and you can't make tactical decisions out of fear or concern over optics. Victory must be seized.

I feel bad for Chan. Good guy who might have shown what he can really do with a real QB and a DC who understands that yes, blitzing does indeed work.

/ramble-rant

Edited by nodnarb