Bills D putting up very good stats over last 4 weeks

To me, its unbelievable how low some fans expectations have become that the very worst DC in the history of the franchise with much more talent then his two predecessors...looks half way decent against one of the worst teams in the NFL, and fans get annoyed when others don't give him props.

My take is 100 million for one FA DE and another 12 mill for the other FA DE along with Kelsay and Merriman the Bills should have the best pass rush in the NFL, 9th isn't bad ...but looking at how they play against the better teams and get man handled by them is still disconcerting to me. About the only teams the Bills D did well against had rookie QB's or bums- Chiefs (2-10) bum QB, Browns (4-8), rookie QB, Arizona(4-8),bum QB.Miami (5-7), rookie QB. Jacksonville bum QB.

The Bills gave up 35 points to the Titans (4-8) at home. The Titans with the 24th ranked offense :doh: The Bills are STILL 30th against the run.

Given Dave Wannstedt's resume,and the talent with all the high drafts picks spent on the defense in recent years my expectations were much higher then last in the NFL for most of the season

I don't doubt that the players are doing better. The Graham article counts for a lot for me. I think our D scheme is still far from perfect, and Wanny should be kept on a tight leash, but I can't deny that Mario Williams is making the progress we were hoping he would. I remember people saying that we would be happy if he got 10 sacks, and already he's at 9.5. He's clearly turning the corner faster and is finally looking to be worth the money. We do have him locked up for a long time, remember?

Meanwhile Stephon Gilmore is coming along nicely. We kept seeing him get beat consistently early in the season but I think he's been playing admirably against the opponents #1 receivers.

So really, I don't know Wanny is doing anything, but we are seeing markedly better play, even against crazy good offenses like the Texans and Patriots.

I don't know what games you were watching but the Patriots put up 52 points in the first game and 37 points against the Bills in the second. The Texans are a running team, and had a 100 yard rusher and a 100 yard receiver and beat the Bills by 21 to 9. The Bills lost those games so not very good by my standards

Well Wanny's D is based on rushing only four. With Mario hurt it was killing him. Now that he seems to be back and playing well, the D is doing well. Add a top notch LB in off season and maybe some depth in the secondary who can actually play, a year of experience for Gilmore and Brooks, maybe Sercy starts. Maybe another off season Merriman will even be playing at a high level, or was he only signed thru this season?? Don't recall??

We seem to be playing much better since Mario's surgery and Merriman's return. Last year our defense played much worse when Merriman was injured. Not sure what all he is bringing to the equation here but he is definitely a factor. Dareus and K Williams are playing better together and Carrington is emerging. A LB upgrade, keeping Byrd, and an experienced CB will be key to moving forward.

Wannstedt has to be more creative in schemes as well.

Dude... the past few weeks the bills have played against the worst nfl offenses... and the bills still rank 25th on defense.

During the 4 game stretch they're talking about we've played the Patriots, Dolphins, Colts and Jaguars.

Total Offense:

#1 Patriots

#3 Colts

#28 Dolphins

#31 Jaguars

So they've played 2 of the worst and 2 of the best.. seems like a pretty good sample to me.