Why did Mike Mullarkey resign as HC of Buffalo

BuffaloBobby

Not too sure about that. Both Gailey and Nix have nonchalantly mentioned that Ralph is still very involved and that they talk quite often about the team with the owner by phone. Furthermore, it follows that someone that's managed his business for most of 50+ years a particular way (save for the Tom Donahoe experiment that left a foul taste in his mouth) would continue to do things his way. Those head coaching candidates that wouldn't even bother with an interview didn't think they'd have full authority to take the measures to build a competitive team and said as much.

There is no doubt that RW is in constant phone contact, if not daily contact, with Nix and sometimes Gailey. I'm sure he frequently talks to Brandon. But maintaining constant communication with someone who is at his ripe age and who doesn't even travel to the games anymore is different from an owner who is constatnly meddling into the football operations.

I have little regard for RW. From a football standpoint he is stupendously inept. The long term record of his chaotic organization is a reflection of his foolishness. But as an owner he has a right to communicate with whomever he wants to communicate with respect to his team. Is he offering useful insights and advice? Of course not. Are those people taking or receiving his calls being distracted from doing their jobs? At this stage I doubt it.

As the owner has said on a few occasions this team is what keeps him going. If that's the case, then so be it. Sometimes pacifying the boss is a requirement for job retention. Tom Donahoe got tired of his curmudgeon bosses' incessant phone calls. He put the boss man on hold or was unavailable to take the call. Tom Donahoe was fired.

Edited by JohnC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic