New Formula 1 racing circuit in Austin christened by Mario Andretti

woot, F1 returns to the USA for real next month! Mario Andretti checks out the new circuit near Austin.

The all-new Circuit of The Americas (COTA) in Austin began the final countdown to the 2012 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix on Sunday, when 1978 F1 world champion Mario Andretti officially opened the Texas venue in a ‘First Lap Ceremony’ featuring a collection of celebrity drivers, local dignitaries and VIP clients.

Awesome; I've been following the progress. Anyone going? We considered it early on but presumed the first year at Austin would be insanely expensive -- may look into it in future years. I've been to a few USGPs in Indy and they were a great time.

On a related note, the New York GP event planned for next year has been postponed. Not surprising they can't get their act together up here.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/8523373/bernie-ecclestone-postpones-inaugural-grand-prix-america-2014

Awesome; I've been following the progress. Anyone going? We considered it early on but presumed the first year at Austin would be insanely expensive -- may look into it in future years. I've been to a few USGPs in Indy and they were a great time.

On a related note, the New York GP event planned for next year has been postponed. Not surprising they can't get their act together up here.

http://espn.go.com/n...ix-america-2014

I lived in Long Beach for 14 years 7 of which were walking distance to the track and loved the Grand Prix there. Sure it wasn't F1 but it was still a fantastic week around that town.

I lived in Long Beach for 14 years 7 of which were walking distance to the track and loved the Grand Prix there. Sure it wasn't F1 but it was still a fantastic week around that town.

I've heard the LB event is really cool; I believe it was an F1 event at one time.

I would love to go to a race on a true road course (obviously Monaco would be top choice). Hopefully they'll be able to pull it off in NY/NJ for 2014, thought I'm not sure the banks of the Hudson are going to rival the Mediterranean or Pacific.

I've heard the LB event is really cool; I believe it was an F1 event at one time.

I would love to go to a race on a true road course (obviously Monaco would be top choice). Hopefully they'll be able to pull it off in NY/NJ for 2014, thought I'm not sure the banks of the Hudson are going to rival the Mediterranean or Pacific.

Yes it was originally F1 but I think only the first year. I remember my first year I frove my Dodge Colt around the track (they set it up weeks in advance) and when I went to the actual race I realized I was racing it backwards. :lol:

I remember one year walking by the pits and Mario drove by in a golf cart. So cool. My favorite year(s) was when Penske had Al Jr, Nigel Mansell and Paul Tracy. I think it was ealy mid 90's and they just kicked ass!