Promise of defensive juggernaut has become nightmare for Bills

Meathead

The most stunning thing about the NFL, heading into Week 6? How bad the Bills have looked, especially on defense.

"Yeah,'' coach Chan Gailey said from Arizona Thursday, "I hate to use that word [stunned]. But this has really caught me off guard."

Roll this around in your brain, about the team that has one of the best defensive tackles in football, Kyle Williams, and a supposed wunderkind bookend for Williams, Marcell Dareus, and a $16-million-a-year defensive end, Mario Williams: The Bills have surrendered 1,201 yards and 97 points in the last two games.

Expansion teams aren't that bad against the run. Buffalo is surrendering 5.7 yards per carry, an incredibly bad number. (The expansion Browns in 1999: 4.5; the expansion Texans in 2002: 4.1.)

I watched the tape of their historically bad game against San Francisco -- historic because it's the first game in NFL history where an offense compiled more than 300 yards rushing and 300 yards passing. I saw two quarterback pressures of Alex Smith. I saw gigantic holes for Frank Gore, and I saw Dareus and Mario Williams getting pushed around at will.

"We've missed an inordinate amount of tackles,'' said Gailey, who has his team in Arizona this week because of back-to-back games out West. Buffalo plays at Arizona Sunday. "And we're not playing on the other side of the line nearly enough. We've got to create more force with our defensive front, so we're playing on their side more, not on ours.''

That's the simplest way to look at it. What's strange is how highly regarded and respected the three (supposedly) good run players are. And then you look at the games, and you see Mario Williams and Dareus, particularly, getting physically handled. Add to that the fact that Mark Anderson, who wasn't playing well anyway, is now out with a knee injury, and that the offense is sputtering and gives the defense no margin for error. With all of that, the Bills have to hope that somehow, some way their defense can turn things around against a couple of inconsistent offensive teams, Arizona and Tennessee, in the next two weeks.

"I think it's a couple of things,'' said Kyle Williams. "Gap control, which is important because if just one guy doesn't cover his gap, if the guy thinks he can move over and make a play instead of playing disciplined and staying in his gap, then a [cut-back] runner can make a big play against us, and that's been happening. So that's been a big focus this week at practice. And I think we've had so many third-and-twos, third-and-threes ... When a quarterback has those time after time, he can call so many different things. Whereas if it's third-and-five-to-10, you're in a much better position to be able to rush the passer and be disruptive.''

It all sounds good, and logical. But if Dareus and Mario Williams don't raise their games, and fast, this is going to be one of the most disappointing seasons in Bills history.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/10/12/nfl-game-plan-week6/index.html#ixzz297gHkwfy

owwwwwwwch

i wouldnt use the word stunning either. how about shocking. or better yet astonishing. alarming. incredible. unbelievable. pathetic

The most stunning thing about the NFL, heading into Week 6? How bad the Bills have looked, especially on defense.

"Yeah,'' coach Chan Gailey said from Arizona Thursday, "I hate to use that word [stunned]. But this has really caught me off guard."

Roll this around in your brain, about the team that has one of the best defensive tackles in football, Kyle Williams, and a supposed wunderkind bookend for Williams, Marcell Dareus, and a $16-million-a-year defensive end, Mario Williams: The Bills have surrendered 1,201 yards and 97 points in the last two games.

Expansion teams aren't that bad against the run. Buffalo is surrendering 5.7 yards per carry, an incredibly bad number. (The expansion Browns in 1999: 4.5; the expansion Texans in 2002: 4.1.)

I watched the tape of their historically bad game against San Francisco -- historic because it's the first game in NFL history where an offense compiled more than 300 yards rushing and 300 yards passing. I saw two quarterback pressures of Alex Smith. I saw gigantic holes for Frank Gore, and I saw Dareus and Mario Williams getting pushed around at will.

"We've missed an inordinate amount of tackles,'' said Gailey, who has his team in Arizona this week because of back-to-back games out West. Buffalo plays at Arizona Sunday. "And we're not playing on the other side of the line nearly enough. We've got to create more force with our defensive front, so we're playing on their side more, not on ours.''

That's the simplest way to look at it. What's strange is how highly regarded and respected the three (supposedly) good run players are. And then you look at the games, and you see Mario Williams and Dareus, particularly, getting physically handled. Add to that the fact that Mark Anderson, who wasn't playing well anyway, is now out with a knee injury, and that the offense is sputtering and gives the defense no margin for error. With all of that, the Bills have to hope that somehow, some way their defense can turn things around against a couple of inconsistent offensive teams, Arizona and Tennessee, in the next two weeks.

"I think it's a couple of things,'' said Kyle Williams. "Gap control, which is important because if just one guy doesn't cover his gap, if the guy thinks he can move over and make a play instead of playing disciplined and staying in his gap, then a [cut-back] runner can make a big play against us, and that's been happening. So that's been a big focus this week at practice. And I think we've had so many third-and-twos, third-and-threes ... When a quarterback has those time after time, he can call so many different things. Whereas if it's third-and-five-to-10, you're in a much better position to be able to rush the passer and be disruptive.''

It all sounds good, and logical. But if Dareus and Mario Williams don't raise their games, and fast, this is going to be one of the most disappointing seasons in Bills history.

http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz297gHkwfy

owwwwwwwch

i wouldnt use the word stunning either. how about shocking. or better yet astonishing. alarming. incredible. unbelievable. pathetic

yeah yeah yeah, and the Pats shredded the big bad Denver defense and the 49ers shredded the Jets big bad defense too. The Bills played arguably the best two teams in the league on consecutive weeks , so can we just let it go??? I watched them basically beat the crap out of a pretty good KC offense and go on the road to Cleveland ending the game on their 1 yard line .... so every team is not the pats and 49ers, who are both basically shredding every other team too. Can we just see if we can win the next two against teams as bad as we are , or at least just as beat up injury wise as we are , and go from there?? This is not a top 10 team yet, we just dont know how far down the "next 10" list they are,, the next two weeks will tell that story. Getting shredded for 6 quarters by the two best teams in the league is what it is. Let it go. Every week is a new week in the NFL.

Getting shredded for 6 quarters by the two best teams in the league is what it is. Let it go. Every week is a new week in the NFL.

If you take away those two games and the blowout loss to NYJ, they're 2-0. People are panicking because they've given up 1,200 yards in the last two weeks like it hasn't happened in 60 years. It's only 6 quarters they've played poorly in the past 2 weeks. <_<