Spiller the new Thurmonator

Stormin Norman

CJ fills a role I haven't seen on this team since the dynamic Thurman Thomas showed us what "all purpose" really means. And Spiller has more speed. As players, both are not big in size but are blessed with quick feet and are very illusive. Most noteworthy, they are a dual threat as runners and pass catchers. Opponents have to respect both means of attack in one player which serves to free up time and space for our other weapons. Finally, they are both impactful playmakers who love to take on the workload.

Obviously, CJ follows a big shadow in Thurman, but it's nice to have a guy who brings all of Thurman's qualities to this edition of the Bills.

CJ is not the all around player that Thurm was, though his blitz pickups are getting better..........But, he is waaaaay faster. Thurm hardly ever broke a long TD. I think CJ will have many if he stays healthy.

I think he's our fastest back since OJ.

Yeah, I don't like the Thurman Thomas comparisons either. Thurman had a very unique running style which relied on his ability to change direction quickly, make himself small to hide behind his linemen, patiently wait for a defender to be sealed, and then emerge from behind his blocker and make a decisive cut off that block.

Spiller is all one cut and burst through the line with mind numbing speed. Other than their ability to catch the ball the two have nothing in common.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I think Spiller's size and upper body strength gets overshadowed by his breakaway speed. I've seen him break several tackles of lineman and LB's not just DB's.

Maybe Cookie is the better comparison. I never saw him play but from what I have read he had power and speed just a notch below Simpson.

He isn't like Thurman. He is more of a home run hitter, and a bit less of a grinding back. He isn't quite the receiver that Thurman was either. But that home run potential is just so intimidating to defenses. It's exciting to have a player like Spiller on the roster finally! I don't feel the leadership quality from CJ that Thurman had, yet. But this game actually might bring that leadership forward. It was such a loss not having him out there, that it might give Spiller more juice in the locker room.

CJ is a potential Hall of Fame back. He is that good.

Edited by Matthews' Bag