Want to blame someone?

Indy Dave

I should have known that despite the turnaround from 0-4 to playoff contender, a loss today would bring out all sorts of negativity. I was hoping we could focus on the positive. How foolish of me.

Yet with all of the finger-pointing at Drew, Teague, Moulds, Nate, Lindell and several other players, coaches and front office people, has there been one post about the least productive of our players? I'm speaking of Josh Reed. I just read a post from someone talking about our young talent, and they included Josh with guys like Lee and Willis. Is that a freakin' joke?

You never know what would have happened, but it is my opinion that if Josh doesn't commit the pass interference call, we go in for a TD and take a 24-16 lead, and start taking control of the game. Instead, we end up missing a field goal. Then the defense loses focus for one play and the next thing you know, we are down a point instead of up eight. How is that not the biggest play of the game and one of the biggest turns in fortune in a Bills game in recent memory?

All I know is just about every player on this team, right or wrong, has taken his share of criticism. One of the rare exceptions is Josh Reed. The guy was a complete zero this season, and that penalty cost us BIG TIME. And yes, it WAS a penalty. He made a blocking action before the ball was thrown. It was a penalty. But everyone can now go back to blaming guys like Eric Moulds, who makes plays and makes Lee Evans better; Travis Henry, who gets blamed for the weather; Nate Clements, who did more positive than negative today; and anyone else you want to point out.

Josh Reed...our training camp All-American. The first person who posts "Josh Reed is catching everything" this August should be banned from this board.

As far as I'm concerned, Reed can join Lindell as the first two players cut this offseason. I really thought he'd be a good player when we drafted him, but he hasn't even been decent. Its really suprised me that it has been his inability to catch the ball that has been his downfall. In college, he caught everything thrown near him. Oh well.

Although I like what I've seen of Aiken in his limited role, they need to bring in another WR this offseason either through FA or the draft to compete with him as the #3.

Nobody answered my question yet from earlier - did Reed put out his hands as if to block the defender, or was he just running the interference (i.e., route) he was asked to run? Was it REALLY Reed's interference or was it the play call that put him in that position?

It was hard to tell on the TV replay, but it almost looked like he ran into the guy & wasn't blocking with his hands. If that's the case, I would argue (if I was MM) that he was just running the route called for by the play.

Nobody answered my question yet from earlier - did Reed put out his hands as if to block the defender, or was he just running the interference (i.e., route) he was asked to run?  Was it REALLY Reed's interference or was it the play call that put him in that position?

It was hard to tell on the TV replay, but it almost looked like he ran into the guy & wasn't blocking with his hands.  If that's the case, I would argue (if I was MM) that he was just running the route called for by the play.

189260[/snapback]

It looked to me that he put his hands out and made a blocking motion. Call it a block or an illegal pick...either way it's a penalty. Completely unnecessary too. The play called for a short pass to the fullback into the flats to convert on third and short. The guy Josh blocked wasn't going to prevent Shelton from getting the first down. It would have been first and goal from about the seven, the Steelers are on their heels, and Willis was where Willis is at his best...near the goal line. I was looking ahead, thinking of a inevitable 24-16 lead, a subsequent three and out, and the Steelers pack it in and call it a day. That penalty, along with the missed field goal and 58-yard run, changed everything. But it all started with Josh's penalty.