Cutler

Kaz

Ryan Fitzpatrick is one of the BEST QBs at avoiding sacks while Cutler is one of the Worst. This is a tough thing to quantify but it certainly has no effect on ypa or completion %. Personally, I think I would measure it as some ratio of QB hits to sacks, a measure of "almost sacks" to real ones becasue defenders can't hit a QB when more than one step away from the QB attempting a throw.

This one hidden, somewhat unquantifiable, talent/skill that Fitz has, explains how Fitzpatrick loses to Cutler on the traditional QB passer rating but evens out on ratings like those done by Football Outsiders and the related ESPN Total QBR. If their turnover stats are similar and Cutler is 3 or 4 times more liklely to take a sack when pressured, this becomes a huge difference between the two, It's was really the biggest point of the Flutie vs, Johnson debate.

I read on one sight that Fitz has only been hit 5 times this year. This is off the charts good and it is partially a byproduct of the GM/talent evaluators, the HC offensive philosophy, an involved o-line coach and a QB that has allowed the offense to function while the ofensive line was developing.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic