The key over and under the first weekend is 2.

Hplarrm

8 members have voted

1. 1. How many games will be impacted by significant bad ref play

• Under 2
    • Over 2
    • Other options or refinements

I think the key stat for the NFL this weekend is an over/under as to whether games are significantly impacted by poor ref calls by the replacements.

1. If there are under 2 games where the refs are even noticeable then I think this is a big win for the NFL and they can then proceed to dictate terms to the real refs.

2. However, if lets say there are two definite highlights of clearly wrong ref calls. I think it is gonna be quite tough on the NFL as these two bad calls will be linked together in a video tape and also lumped in with the close calls which always happen (maybe the refs were right but maybe they were not- and this might happen to experienced as well as the junior league refs we have). Particularly if these bad calls do not impact outcomes (lets say they make a stupid punt spot in a NE game already decided this fauz pas will not be significant, then the NFL lives to fight another weekend.

3. However, if more than 2 games see their outcomes altered by bad ref calls then the whole week and/or season gets asterisked as the final outcome of who is in and who is out of the playoffs will get determined by a series of bad calls which will be shown time and again on replays throughout the season.

The moderators might easily choose to lump this into an ongoing thread about the refs. However, I have tried to quantify this into poll results and I am curious what my fellow NFL zealots think!

I would say on any given week even with regular officials 1 or 2 are directly impacted by referee decisions. Did you by chance catch the vandy game last night? Really bad no call at the end of the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/missed-pass-interference-call-creates-controversy-south-carolina-031800880--ncaaf.html

The funny thing about all of this is people are talking about regular refs as if they are infallible when quite the opposite is actually the truth.