The bad tackling we saw Friday night

I feel bad for defensive players, I really do. Already at a disadvantage with most of the recent rule changes, the new CBA has also:

1) Removed 2-a-days from training camp

2) Reduced the number of days for training camp

3) Reduced the number of days in a row teams can practice

4) Reduced the number of padded practices teams can have

5) Reduced the amount of live-hitting in practices

Just how are defenders supposed to work on the fundamentals of their craft, namely tackling, when they can barely do it until the season starts? They can work on "fits" at half-speed all they want, but being in the right place at the right time is only half the battle.

Perhaps the #1 defense should work against the #3 offense and be allowed to tackle them.

Or maybe they have been playing football their entire lives and should have the basics that are taught to 5 year olds down by now.

In case they need a refresher ...

http://www.wikihow.c...kle-in-Football

So you're saying pitchers don't need to pitch during preseason in baseball? Basketball players don't even need preseason because all they do is shoot baskets? Golfers don't need practice either?

I think there's an art to tackling. Being able to hit a moving target, to anticipate where that target will be when you try to hit it - all that needs work.

Isn't there a connection if not a correlation between bad tackling form and higher risk play (in terms of player health and safety)? Antoine Winfield's tackling was always textbook perfect (aside: what a player he was!), very effective, and came without the shots to the head that we see too often downfield.

So could the lack of practicing with hits have a negative effect on player safety, instead of a positive?

(Fact-free speculation as awlays)

kj

If we want to be fair about the discussion, it is probably a factor that the Bills have changed defenses and have several players playing positions that they are not familiar with.

I'm not an excuse maker in my life or on behalf of others but I think this is a valid point.

Things in an NFL game happen in the tenths and hundredths of seconds so a small lapse in timing can be the difference between (mixing metaphors) a long fly out and a home run.

I feel bad for defensive players, I really do. Already at a disadvantage with most of the recent rule changes, the new CBA has also:

1) Removed 2-a-days from training camp

2) Reduced the number of days for training camp

3) Reduced the number of days in a row teams can practice

4) Reduced the number of padded practices teams can have

5) Reduced the amount of live-hitting in practices

Just how are defenders supposed to work on the fundamentals of their craft, namely tackling, when they can barely do it until the season starts? They can work on "fits" at half-speed all they want, but being in the right place at the right time is only half the battle.

Perhaps the #1 defense should work against the #3 offense and be allowed to tackle them.

Well considering they start teaching fundamental tackling since pee wee football, i'd say most of them have about 15 years of practice under their belt. I don't think those new rules should be an excuse bud.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

I agree that a poor tackling team is cause for real concern - in fact, the difference between good and bad defenses usually is the execution of fundamentals - you hear it all the time with the coaches. Great defenses have talent. But, you can have less talented guys and still have a top 10 defense if they are all consistently in the right plays, and tackling well.

Now, I've had the opportunity to watch about a dozen game segments so far this year, of various preseason games, and I really haven't noticed many teams looking any better than Buffalo. I'll agree - we need to be sound with our fundamentals. However, I recall (if I'm not mistaken) last preseason our offense was beng flagged like crazy, and I thought for sure we'd have that issue plague us all year, and then when the season started, we ended up being one of the least penalized teams in th league, offensively.

Point being - I'm not going to get overly concerned about anything until after the first regular season game. This isn't Wannstedt's first rodeo.