Hunger Games on DVD

birdog1960

Watched it yesterday and thought it was very well done and faithful to the book. I didn't see it in the theater since I wasn't sure how they would portray teenagers killing each other and how I would react. I thought it was as tastefully done as possible and the reaction was what the author was hoping for: shock with a message. The scenery is gorgeous as much of it was done in Asheville. Looks like the French Broad River to me (cue the jokes). In the "making of the movie" section, the director talks about how helpful it was to be out in the "wild" away from Hollywood for the filming. I think folks from Asheville would be a little surprised to know that they live in the wild! The coal town scenes were actually set in Shelby NC and looked realistic despite there being no coal mines for miles. Anyway, I think it's worth buying and definitely worth renting.

Comments?

Watched it yesterday and thought it was very well done and faithful to the book. I didn't see it in the theater since I wasn't sure how they would portray teenagers killing each other and how I would react. I thought it was as tastefully done as possible and the reaction was what the author was hoping for: shock with a message. The scenery is gorgeous as much of it was done in Asheville. Looks like the French Broad River to me (cue the jokes). In the "making of the movie" section, the director talks about how helpful it was to be out in the "wild" away from Hollywood for the filming. I think folks from Asheville would be a little surprised to know that they live in the wild! The coal town scenes were actually set in Shelby NC and looked realistic despite there being no coal mines for miles. Anyway, I think it's worth buying and definitely worth renting.

Comments?

Have not seen it. I did, however, read the book and was quite disappointed in it. Without bringing up the fact that this kind of story has been done before, and much better, I felt the writer spent too much time telling us we should care about character X,Y,Z, and telling us that Katpiss or whatever was all in love with the baker kid, but really in love with the guy who was only in the book between pages 1-10. Point is, you need to write in a way that lets the reader discover and come to these conclusions themselves. Perhaps this is why the book was so popular with teens and preteens, not much thinking required.

Don't get me wrong, I am not necessarily pissing all over the book, I just don't get all the hype. When I hear things like, "OMG, it's soooooo good, it's the next Twilight", I should have vastly lowered my expectations. Honestly, I just did not care at all about ol' Katpiss, and was hoping she would get killed, as I found her to be annoying. I leave you with a choice line from the book which caused such an uproar of laughter, my wife came into the room to see what was going on:

"the saltiness of the soup reminded me of my tears"..

Indeed. Perhaps the movie will represent better, I am willing to give it a chance...

Have not seen it. I did, however, read the book and was quite disappointed in it. Without bringing up the fact that this kind of story has been done before, and much better, I felt the writer spent too much time telling us we should care about character X,Y,Z, and telling us that Katpiss or whatever was all in love with the baker kid, but really in love with the guy who was only in the book between pages 1-10. Point is, you need to write in a way that lets the reader discover and come to these conclusions themselves. Perhaps this is why the book was so popular with teens and preteens, not much thinking required.

Don't get me wrong, I am not necessarily pissing all over the book, I just don't get all the hype. When I hear things like, "OMG, it's soooooo good, it's the next Twilight", I should have vastly lowered my expectations. Honestly, I just did not care at all about ol' Katpiss, and was hoping she would get killed, as I found her to be annoying. I leave you with a choice line from the book which caused such an uproar of laughter, my wife came into the room to see what was going on:

"the saltiness of the soup reminded me of my tears"..

Indeed. Perhaps the movie will represent better, I am willing to give it a chance...

I don't think there's any comparison to the twilight series, which i couldn't stand. This series is allegorical. It's about totalitarianism, self absorption and callousness. It's about using fear and hope as weapons for control. And it's about exploitation. Whether teen readers get that is up for debate but the author surely intended it and the movie portrays it well.

It seems different people see different things http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/24/entertainment/la-et-hunger-politics-20120324/2 in the movie. Another similar article recently appeared in "the globe and mail". I find that fascinating and the hallmark of a successful piece of art. Kinda like the 2012 version of "wizard of oz".

I think you're right. The casting was spot on in my opinion: Donald Sutherland as the evil leader, Stanley Tucci as the repulsive sensational reporter, and Jennifer Lawrence as the heroine. I don't think they could have done better in those 3 roles. Let me know what you think after you see it. It's also rare to have total silence in a modern movie scene. Here, it's very effective.