I could throw my TiVo box out the window...

SDS

all I want to do is disconnect one input and run it to a separate receiver today, so I can get PIP.

Now, I have the error message from hell that it can't receive a signal on one line. No way to dismiss it - it's right there all the time. This forces me to run through the entire setup all over again just to get rid of that POS message... :(

Just go to the guided setup and tell it you only have one lined connected. It takes about 30 seconds.

Need help doing that? Let me know. (I'm assuming you have a DirecTV/TiVo and are pulling one coax cable out from the back to connect it to a second DirecTV receiver, correct?)

CW

Just go to the guided setup and tell it you only have one lined connected.  It takes about 30 seconds.

Need help doing that?  Let me know. (I'm assuming you have a DirecTV/TiVo and are pulling one coax cable out from the back to connect it to a second DirecTV receiver, correct?)

CW

187675[/snapback]

it takes longer than 30 seconds.... I'm already done, but it was aggravating.

SDS, for future reference, what was the cause?

I got my folks TiVo for Christmas and I hooked it up (they have DirecTV). It's running pretty well, but anytime they want to do something I have to talk them through it (I live 4 hours away). I wasn't able to set it up to have the ability to watch one show while recording another because their TV is like 10 years old and it doesn't have the ability to change the input. I could rig up some splitters and A/B switches, but that would just confuse the situation.

I can just see them now getting the same message. Did you get it up so that the PIP works?

SDS, for future reference, what was the cause?

I got my folks TiVo for Christmas and I hooked it up (they have DirecTV).  It's running pretty well, but anytime they want to do something I have to talk them through it (I live 4 hours away).  I wasn't able to set it up to have the ability to watch one show while recording another because their TV is like 10 years old and it doesn't have the ability to change the input.  I could rig up some splitters and A/B switches, but that would just confuse the situation.

I can just see them now getting the same message.  Did you get it up so that the PIP works?

187698[/snapback]

the TV has nothing to do with recording one/watch another. You need two lines from your dish coming into your receiver for that. If you have 2 lines - you probably configured the tivo wrong.

I just disconnected one line to use another receiver (because you need a 2nd mpeg decoder) to get PIP. One receiver will not work for PIP.

I just nbeeded to tell the tivo unit that one line was coming in and not two through the setup.

the TV has nothing to do with recording one/watch another.  You need two lines from your dish coming into your receiver for that.  If you have 2 lines - you probably configured the tivo wrong.

187700[/snapback]

Gotcha. Makes sense.

Off to Porter's Place with some Stiller's fans. Go Bills!