August Movies: Total Recall, Bourne Legacy, and Expendables 2...

Mark Vader

Wow, what a list! Some of these groupings of actors are just amazing...

I read part of an interview with Shia LeBeouf (however you spell his damn name) tonight where he said he's retired from studio films and plans to do only indys from now on. I'll always make time for the popcorn flick, but I have to say that the shift to lower budget indy flicks over the last ten or fifteen years, and especially with the way some of these festivals have flourished, has really been exciting for the film fan. I remember when I first moved to Atlanta in '99, I was staying with my family until I decided if I was going to stay or go back to Philly. One night I was playing around on their cable, which had more channels than I'd ever seen, and I came across one called "IFC". Of course, most of us know what that channel is today, but back then I had no idea. I read up on it a bit and then started looking through the descriptions of the films. At that time, you had pretty much all unknown or lesser known actors in these films, so all these faces were new to me. I sat down to watch a film called "Trust" with martin donovan and I found myself pretty engrossed in what was going on. I really latched on to the freedom and license that these filmmakers had and it was great to see non-cookie cutter films that you just could never tell where they were going. Now, of course, you have mainstream actors all over the indys, which Im fine with as long as they dont ever try to infuse elements from the studio side into the indy side.

Anyway, just rambling...great list...can't wait to check out some of these potential gems!

I read part of an interview with Shia LeBeouf (however you spell his damn name) tonight where he said he's retired from studio films and plans to do only indys from now on. I'll always make time for the popcorn flick, but I have to say that the shift to lower budget indy flicks over the last ten or fifteen years, and especially with the way some of these festivals have flourished, has really been exciting for the film fan. I remember when I first moved to Atlanta in '99, I was staying with my family until I decided if I was going to stay or go back to Philly. One night I was playing around on their cable, which had more channels than I'd ever seen, and I came across one called "IFC". Of course, most of us know what that channel is today, but back then I had no idea. I read up on it a bit and then started looking through the descriptions of the films. At that time, you had pretty much all unknown or lesser known actors in these films, so all these faces were new to me. I sat down to watch a film called "Trust" with martin donovan and I found myself pretty engrossed in what was going on. I really latched on to the freedom and license that these filmmakers had and it was great to see non-cookie cutter films that you just could never tell where they were going. Now, of course, you have mainstream actors all over the indys, which Im fine with as long as they dont ever try to infuse elements from the studio side into the indy side.

Anyway, just rambling...great list...can't wait to check out some of these potential gems!

Ever since 1996, when 4 of the 5 movies nominated for best picture were all from independent studios, big things happened.

These small film companies were all purchased by the major movie studios, giving them greater budgets.

The result being even more independent films made and having them with bigger name actors.

I often wonder with so many of these films being made, do they ever make any real money?

Most of these films are released in major markets only, and when they do get wider expansions, a lot of moviegoers do not even notice them.

As for this month, there are a couple documentaries that look very interesting to me. Also, "The Day" looks like a good thriller.

One more independent movie to add to the list.

The documentary "2016: Obama's America". 2016 Obama's America takes audiences on a gripping visual journey into the heart of the worlds most powerful office to reveal the struggle of whether one man's past will redefine America over the next four years. The film examines the question, "If Obama wins a second term, where will we be in 2016?"

8/17

"2016: Obama's America" : http://2016themovie.com/

Edited by Mark Vader

Amazing film. Hal Hartley will always be one of my favorite filmmakers. If you haven't see it yet hunt down a copy of his 1994 film Amateur. One of my favorite films period.

As for new movies "Lawless" looks decent. Written by Nick Cave...if I was any bigger of a fan of his I'd be sitting in the bushes outside of his house right now.

"The Campaign" will surely be funny, but that can wait until DVD.

Did go to the Rifftrax "Manos: Hands of Fate" simulcast event thingy last night (it's essentially Mystery Science Theater 3000). Could not have been a more fun experience. They are doing it again on October 25 with "Birdemic." Highly recommended to all MST3K fans.