Indy's not playing Peyton

If he only plays 1 quarter I hope it's one of those, "He threw 4 TDs in one quarter." quarters.

187305[/snapback]

I would guess he'll be getting the pro-Bowl max protect list of plays to work with in his short stint.

If some aggressive Denver safety comes careening into Peyton's legs during a meaningless game, Tony Dungy might get Lynched.

Buffalo would have been better off with a frisky team that's out of it in this one (KC, Houston, even Miami) than a team that has something to lose.

Best case scenario from here is Jake Plummer. Deep in his own territory. Early. Often. Historically, he has to be one of the worst first half QB's active in football.

I would guess he'll be getting the pro-Bowl max protect list of plays to work with in his short stint.

If some aggressive Denver safety comes careening into Peyton's legs during a meaningless game, Tony Dungy might get Lynched.

No one's done it yet, not even Rodney Harrison. Why it would start now, I don't know, but I guess anything's possible. And if they somehow DO get pressure and/or some hits on Manning, I expect him to be yanked quickly.

No one's done it yet, not even Rodney Harrison.  Why it would start now, I don't know, but I guess anything's possible.  And if they somehow DO get pressure and/or some hits on Manning, I expect him to be yanked quickly.

187310[/snapback]

Indy has a great, great offensive line - maybe the best in football. It at the very least is a very nice fit for their offense. Saturday is a player. You're absolutely right that Peyton's hardly been touched all year, but the risk/reward for Dungy in this one is different than the previous 15 games.

Indy has a great, great offensive line - maybe the best in football. It at the very least is a very nice fit for their offense. Saturday is a player. You're absolutely right that Peyton's hardly been touched all year, but the risk/reward for Dungy in this one is different than the previous 15 games.

True. However to hear Manning talk, and to have heard Dungy talk as well, resting the starters and not winning the game is a risk/reward you also have to take into account, because it's bitten them in the ass in the past. Now I'm not saying he plays the whole game, but I could see a half, during which time they get a comfortable lead. And I also don't see Denver as having a top pass-rushing team to get much into Manning's face and cause him harm versus other teams he's played.

The point spread tells me that Indy is going to pull back early. If they were preparing with their usual intensity, I would have expected that line to pull back after jumping up to 8.5-9 earlier in the week. It's remained steady. If it hasn't happened by now, that means they're going with the kindergarten gameplan.

If that game was two weeks ago (Indy at Denver), I'd have expected the line to be Indy -5 or so. A two touchdown swing in an NFL spread is astronomical. It tells you all you need to know. Compare that line to the Pats line - New England is still -13.5 so I think that they actually will be playing their starters (that line would have been 17 or so if NE hadn't lost to Miami and still had a chance at #1 seeding, but the drop is far less dramatic than this Indy/Denver game).

Peyton and Dungy's talk I suspect is just talk. It's not in anyone's interest for teams to outwardly admit that they're not giving 100% in a game when the Denver fans will be pumping a couple million bucks into their tickets tomorrow. On the other hand, it's not in Indy's interest to risk losing anyone vital to its team for the playoffs when they can't impact their position. Everyone knows this so there is the typical song and dance.

I'm sorry - I don't mean to throw cold water on Buffalo's chances. I think Buffalo very much deserves to get in at 10-6 with the heart they've shown down the stretch. I think though realistically they've gotten a very bad draw in the other two games that it needs to get in.

Same thing happened to the Pats in 2002 when they needed Green Bay to beat the Jets to get in at 4 and GB tanked very early on (and GB did however lose badly at home the next week for "lost edge" theorists). I will admit to laughing during that game when they showed the fireman leading the "P-A-T-S----PATS PATS PATS!" chant in the first quarter (NYJ needed the Pats to beat Miami at 1:00 to have their game mean something - I'm guessing that particular rooting interest never occurs again).