P Brian Moorman

K Rian Lindell

ST Da'Norris Searcy

ST Lee Smith

ST Alex Carrington

ST Roscoe Parrish

ST Marcell Dareus

ST Arthur Moats

Astro-Comment: Lee Smith's ST rating will likely make him our second TE. Searcy shows that his value isn't only as a backup safety. Moats may stick around for another year due to his ST ability.

Best on Kickoffs Only

ST Corey McIntyre

K Rian Lindell

ST Justin Rogers

ST Lee Smith

ST Arthur Moats

ST Da'Norris Searcy

K Dave Rayner

ST Danny Batten

P Brian Moorman

Astro-Comment: Even with his penalties (see below), McIntyre rules the roost on kickoffs. Justin Rogers makes this team as nickel or dime guy plus ST gunner. Searcy and Moats will be on kickoffs for sure. Batten's the wild card.

Best on Punts Only

P Brian Moorman

ST Ruvell Martin

ST C.J. Spiller

ST Leodis McKelvin

ST Roscoe Parrish

ST Da'Norris Searcy

ST Brad Smith

ST Scott Chandler

Astro-Comment: Punt coverage is a specialty of the Bills' biggest WR, Ruvell Martin. We'll need to watch preseason games to see if we use Ruvell, or if he'll be replaced. Smith and Chandler also are WR's with ST skills.

Most Unassisted Tackles Made on Special Teams:

ST Corey McIntyre 12

ST Ruvell Martin 10

ST Chris A. White 8

ST Danny Batten 7

ST Arthur Moats 6

ST Bryan Scott 6

ST Da'N. Searcy 5

ST Kel. Sheppard 5

ST Johnny White 5

ST Mike Caussin 5

ST Leo. McKelvin 4

LS Garr. Sanborn 4

ST Brad Smith 3

ST Scott Chandler 3

ST Justin Rogers 3

Astro-Comment: Scary that the first 5 on this list have been mentioned by some as not staying with the team in 2012. Unassisted ST tackles might make the difference whether one player or another makes this team.

Worst on Penalties on Special Teams Plays

ST Corey McIntyre (3)

ST Ruvell Martin (2)

ST Chris A. White (1)

ST Justin Rogers (1)

ST Johnny White (1)

ST Dr. Florence (1)

ST Spen. Johnson (1)

ST C.J. Spiller (1)

ST Leo. McKelvin (1)

ST Reggie Corner (1)

ST Danny Batten (1)

K Rian Lindell (1)

ST A. Carrington (1)

ST Jairus Byrd (1)

Worst on Special Teams Tackles Missed:

ST Justin Rogers 3

ST Chris A. White 2

ST Danny Batten 2

ST Leo. McKelvin 2

ST Arthur Moats 1

ST Bryan Scott 1

ST Kel. Sheppard 1

ST Derek Hagan 1

Edited by Astrobot

Smith and Chandler also are WR's with ST skills.

I don't know where PFF gets this from.

When/where did Chandler play special teams? Maybe on the kick blocking (defense) teams?

Also Chris White (who I love) was a demon on kick coverage as the stats show. His totals are very impressive especially considering he played in only 8 games. If McKillop beats out White for a roster spot, he'll have to be a special teams demon.

Also I forgot about Carrington and his kick blocking prowess… which may give him the upper hand in the D-line competition we've been discussing lately. I would think that Carrington and Mario Williams would make a nice kick blocking tandem.

I don't know where PFF gets this from.

When/where did Chandler play special teams? Maybe on the kick blocking (defense) teams?

Chandler played on the punt team in Week 4 against Cincy, logging 2 tackles (solo), and against Miami in Week 11, logging a solo tackle.

See but some of those stats are tough. SOMEBODY was going to make those tackles. If you drop moats, or white or.... Then this years crop of late round LBers has every ability to step up just as much. Obviously you need guys that can fill those holes, hence you don't sign TO to be WR #4-5 on a roster but there's every indication that our roster will have players to fill those voids effectively even if we choose based on who is the best LB, or safety or corner or TE or swing tackle or.....

I think that special teams ability will be low in the rankings come cut day, as we have guys all over the board that can contribute at a high level.

Edited by NoSaint

See but some of those stats are tough. SOMEBODY was going to make those tackles. If you drop moats, or white or.... Then this years crop of late round LBers has every ability to step up just as much. Obviously you need guys that can fill those holes, hence you don't sign TO to be WR #4-5 on a roster but there's every indication that our roster will have players to fill those voids effectively even if we choose based on who is the best LB, or safety or corner or TE or swing tackle or.....

I think that special teams ability will be low in the rankings come cut day, as we have guys all over the board that can contribute at a high level.

Right on.

I agree.

As I've said before, there is a temperament involved with being a good special teamer.. not every good football player can play teams and not every special teamer can contribute from scrimmage.

But generally, the more talented a football team, the better their special teams tend to be.

I agree.

As I've said before, there is a temperament involved with being a good special teamer.. not every good football player can play teams and not every special teamer can contribute from scrimmage.

But generally, the more talented a football team, the better their special teams tend to be.

And I think that temperament is something we are targeting with our mid-late round picks. If we were lacking in that attitude I'd be more worried about losing a good chunk of those top 5 guys astro pointed out. As it stands I think we can cut pretty well along the best at their positions and what's left will still be a really strong unit for ST. We tend not to have aging or prima donna, or undersized players at depth. They may lack experience but they seem to be big boys that want to go make hits.

Like you said, it might help a carrington get a nod over an Edwards but.... I would be surprised if its anything more than a tie breaker. Maaaaybe a situation where you keep an extra LB over a DT for the last roster spot For example.

Edited by NoSaint