Is Pittsburgh really that good

marck

I know that is putting the cart before the horse but I was doing a little prognostication and assessment.

When the Bills beat Pittsburgh on Sunday and the outcome of the Bronco's and Jets games determine whether the Bills have the 5th or 6th seed I was thinking of our chances for victory in the wildcard week.

The Bills and Chargers make for a very interesting game, but living in San Diego, I have seen the Chargers all season and know that the way to exploit San Diego is via special teams as their kick return defense is very poor, however they do have a great punter who gets unbelivaible hang-time, and their pass defense. I believe that Bledsoe can use the Moulds/Evans weapons to keep the chains moving by throwing against Quinten Jammer and with our slot receiver against Sammy Davis. Running will be difficult but one big advantage is that the Bills will have practice against the same type of 3-4 defense this week against the Steelers. I think we beat San Diego in a close game and move on.

If its the Bills and the Colts, I see a major advantage in the primary running series the Colts use is the slow developing stretch plays which the Bills defense can handle very well because of their size up front and fill speed of the linebackers and safety's. They will take away James and put Manning in a constant must pass situation. Also the no huddle matches up well with the Colts base defense meaning they won't be abale to get their other speed rusher either on the field or off. This means the Bills will use the power running game and I love our tackles Williams and Jennings to pound on Mathis and Freeney in the running game. I think the Bills will be able to run and maintain ball possession limiting the Colts time with the ball while using their dominant special teams to win the battle of field position. I really can see a scenario in which the Bills control the clock for at least 35 or more minutes and win a game about 27-17.

This brings me to dealing with the Steelers. In all honesty do you really think Big Ben is ready for the speed and intensity of his first playoff game , playing ateam that will shut off the run and put the game in his hands to win. We also have to remember the Steelers history of losing home playoff games during the Cowher era and I have to think we have a great shot to beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh and move on to the conference championship game. Sadly, if we get a game at New England, we do have serious issues especially with Drew playing against Bellicheck's defense.

Anyways, love to read your feedback as your collectiv opinions and thoughts are always enjoyable.

Go Bills and thanks for the great ride this season.

In order to get to the superbowl we're gonna have to beat Indy/SD, Pittsburgh, and New England, all away. I wouldn't bet money on us doing it, but I think our chances at NE are a lot better then you think.

The Jets or Denver won't give any of the other AFC teams a run for the money. We would.

In order to get to the superbowl we're gonna have to beat Indy/SD, Pittsburgh, and New England, all away.  I wouldn't bet money on us doing it, but I think our chances at NE are a lot better then you think.

The Jets or Denver won't give any of the other AFC teams a run for the money.  We would.

184322[/snapback]

Not to be a negative nancy - but how in the world can you think we have a chance at NE? We have never even come close to beating the Pats at their house while coached by Belicheck. Let's look at our last 3 games...

Lost 6-29 (actually seemed worse than that)

Lost 0-31 (could have been worse but Belicheck wanted to tie score exactly)

Lost 17-27 (don't actually remember this game - just remember the fact that we did not know what screen passes were)

My dream would be for us to be the #5 seed and playoff the Chargers. Then play the Steelers - have the Colts knock off the Pats and then play the Colts. I just can't imagine how we can beat the Pats when Belicheck owns Drew.

I think you have a fine team but history tells me rookie QB's do not play well in playoff intensity. Plus, the teams that will play the Steelers in the 1st round, either San Diego or Buffalo, can stop the run and can force the Steelers into a throwing game.

You do have excellent receivers but I don't think Big Ben will do well against either of those defenses. Plus Cowher's teams do have a choke mentality in home playoff games.

Simply harken back to losses to the Bills in 1992, the Chargers in 1994, the almost choke agiunst the Colts in 1995, and the loss to Denver in 1998 all with the Steelers being heavily favored. I just think you have a lot to be concerned with.

ummm... Just a little point here.  THe Steelers defense is MUCH better than the pats. 

also, can you name ONE team that has stopped the running game of Pittsburgh?   

I know you have to root for your team, but give me something to work with here...

184390[/snapback]

For one thing, we may get inclement weather in NE which always brings the top team's advantange down a little. You never know, but would love to see the Bills have another shot at the Brady Bunch.

Not to be a negative nancy - but how in the world can you think we have a chance at NE?  We have never even come close to beating the Pats at their house while coached by Belicheck.  Let's look at our last 3 games...

Lost 17-27 (don't actually remember this game - just remember the fact that we did not know what screen passes were)

My dream would be for us to be the #5 seed and playoff the Chargers.  Then play the Steelers - have the Colts knock off the Pats and then play the Colts.  I just can't imagine how we can beat the Pats when Belicheck owns Drew.

184339[/snapback]

I think you have a fine team but history tells me rookie QB's do not play well in playoff intensity.  Plus, the teams that will play the Steelers in the 1st round, either San Diego or Buffalo, can stop the run and can force the Steelers into a throwing game.

You do have excellent receivers but I don't think Big Ben will do well against either of those defenses.  Plus Cowher's teams do have a choke mentality in home playoff games.

Simply harken back to losses to the Bills in 1992, the Chargers in 1994, the almost choke agiunst the Colts in 1995, and the loss to Denver in 1998 all with the Steelers being heavily favored.  I just think you have a lot to be concerned with.

184437[/snapback]

Hey, C'mon you forgot about 2001 vs the Pats. If you're going to bring u the past, bring it ALL up. Can I tell you what we had in comman in 98 and 01. Kordell S. We had a chance to win each game, but it was put in the QB's hands. End of story.

Please stop with the Rookie QB stuff. He has done FAR more than any QB since the 1970 merger. Do you think he is the normal QB in a normal situation? You don't think the Ravens, jets, Redskins, Pats, Eagles. Let off on him because it wasn't the playoffs? He has one of the BEST QB ratings in the 4th quarter then ANY QB in the league. Like you said, he has talented receivers around him. a great OL and running game and the #1 Defense overall. Plus, they boy has Moxie.. :doh:

Not to be a negative nancy - but how in the world can you think we have a chance at NE?  We have never even come close to beating the Pats at their house while coached by Belicheck.  Let's look at our last 3 games...

My dream would be for us to be the #5 seed and playoff the Chargers.  Then play the Steelers - have the Colts knock off the Pats and then play the Colts.  I just can't imagine how we can beat the Pats when Belicheck owns Drew.

184339[/snapback]

This will sound like a cliche, but the Bills are a different team than they were on November 14th. That loss really turned this season around. The players have more confidence, the offensive line is better, the entire defense is better, the special teams are making plays, and the offense knows their limitations. Mularkey and Clements have reshaped the offensive game plan so that the line does a better job of protecting Bledsoe and opening holes for McGahee. This has made a world of difference.

If the Bills were to actually get in the playoffs (we're not there yet, remember) and if they got past the wild card and if they were in a positon to play at New England, I'd feel much better about their chances. They probably wouldn't win, but they'd put up a damn good fight.

Hey, C'mon you forgot about 2001 vs the Pats.  If you're going to bring u the past,  bring it ALL up. Can I tell you what we had in comman in 98 and 01.  Kordell S.  We had a chance to win each game, but it was put in the QB's hands.  End of story.

Please stop with the Rookie QB stuff.  He has done FAR more than any QB since the 1970 merger.  Do you think he is the normal QB in a normal situation? You don't think the Ravens, jets, Redskins, Pats, Eagles.  Let off on him because it wasn't the playoffs? He has one of the BEST QB ratings in the 4th quarter then ANY QB in the league.  Like you said, he has talented receivers around him.  a great OL and running game and the #1 Defense overall.  Plus, they boy has Moxie.. :doh:

184803[/snapback]

The Steelers run an Offense which takes the pressure off the QB. Their gameday plan is the running game and a smothering D. Sets up some nice play action opportunities for Ben R. They've earned their 14-1 record, no question. Ben R. is rarely put in a situation where he has to carry the team. That's what every Coach hopes for, no matter who plays QB.

The Steelers run an Offense which takes the pressure off the QB. Their gameday plan is the running game and a smothering D. Sets up some nice play action opportunities for Ben R. They've earned their 14-1 record, no question. Ben R. is rarely put in a situation where he has to carry the team. That's what every Coach hopes for, no matter who plays QB.

184814[/snapback]

I agree 100%. You also need to look at the come from behind wins he has had in Dallas, Cincy, Cleveland and Jax. When he NEEDED to be in control, he executed perfectly. Even in the jets game. He did what was needed of him to get the win. This is the same formula that the steelers had in 2000-2001 season except when we needed a QB to make up for mistakes, he threw 2 INT's on 2 consecutive plays. I don't see that with Big Ben.