The biggest reason for the turnaround?

Grant

According to BillsDaily.com, since going 0-4 we have outscored opponents 66-3 in the third quarter and haven't allowed a touchdown in the third quarter all year.

That's huge. In my opinion, the third quarter is undeniably important. Starting the second half off right can lead to domination for teams, and it has for us.

Jerry Gray, who I admit I haven't been really excited about until just this year, has proven he may very well be the most important coach on the team.

Being able to make adjusments is the key to being a good coach (something Williams' staff failed to understand) and Gray has done it. This being Gray's first year in complete control of the defense without someone meddling or looking over his shoulder, he's shown a lot.

Hats off to Jerry Gray and all of the defense!

I don't think it's an understatement but we've also been a much better 3rd quarter team offensively as well. Today was a good example, putting 10 points up and controlling the clock throughout. Full marks across the board to the staff for that. They did an interesting assessment of halftime in the latest BILLS' Digest on how stuff is handled. Not much time but alot getting done.

I sincerely wish we'd jump out of the gate a little faster.

According to BillsDaily.com, since going 0-4 we have outscored opponents 66-3 in the third quarter and haven't allowed a touchdown in the third quarter all year.

That's huge. In my opinion, the third quarter is undeniably important. Starting the second half off right can lead to domination for teams, and it has for us.

Jerry Gray, who I admit I haven't been really excited about until just this year, has proven he may very well be the most important coach on the team.

Being able to make adjusments is the key to being a good coach (something Williams' staff failed to understand) and Gray has done it. This being Gray's first year in complete control of the defense without someone meddling or looking over his shoulder, he's shown a lot.

179226[/snapback]

I have always heard that one of the signs of how good a coach is revolves around the adjustments they make at halftime. I couldn't agree with you more. There were a lot of years where we were "out-adjusted" by other coaches at halftime... nice to have the shoe on the other foot.

I have always heard that one of the signs of how good a coach is revolves around the adjustments they make at halftime. I couldn't agree with you more. There were a lot of years where we were "out-adjusted" by other coaches at halftime... nice to have the shoe on the other foot.

179260[/snapback]

Exactly right. While McGahee has been big in our turn around, I think people are missing the real hero: the coaching staff (Gray in particular).

Last year, if we started off slow you just knew we were done because we wouldn't ever come back in the second half. This year, we OWN the second half and that is huge.

Furthermore, not to keep kissing Gray's ass, but I should also add that we almost really do have two head coaches on the team.

A big reason Wade and Gregg failed before us is because although they understood the defensive aspect of the game, they couldn't quite bring out anything offensively. The people they appointed to offensive coordinator were pretty lousy and none of them have really done anything since.

On the other hand, Gray is very similar to Wade and Gregg in terms of how well he understands that side of the ball. And I think he's probably going to be a HC pretty soon, I think he might have the same troubles that the other two had.

Not to mention, we have a lot of former NFL players as coaches, which I think is also pretty important and leads to players really buying into their speeches a lot more, since they've "been there."

179226[/snapback]

That is quite impressive but we didn't lose any games in the 3rd quarter in that 0-4 stretch.

We lost 2 games when the defense was given the lead in the final minutes of the game both times!