What's a Franchise QB, revisited?

Dr. Trooth

good stuff.

Interestingly too is that in 2005, the QBs in the championship games were Jake Plummer (2nd round), Jake Delhomme (undrafted), Matt Hasselbeck (6th round), and Big Ben. Only Big Ben was a first rounder.

And yes Big Ben's team did win, but it wasn't because of him, it was in spite of him. His D and a long run by Willie Parker and a WR pass from Randel El to Hiney Ward and the refs were the difference in that game. And Jeremy Stevens dropping 4 passes for the Seahawks.

I was at that game. I'll never forget it.

Tom Brady was there too, but he did the coin flip.

I remember that. Not sure why Brady was dressed as David Hasselhoff for that coin flip, but I'm sure he had his reasons.

Anyway, some good stuff in this thread. I'll chime in to say that breaking QBs down by 1st rounders vs. not 1st rounders isn't very productive. Why? Because only a couple QBs a year are drafted in the first round. Even so, they represent about half of all recent Super Bowl QBs. But what about that other half? 50/50, I like those odds, let's go for a non-1st rounder. Okay, so grab a guy in the 2nd? 4th? Undrafted free agent? Go defense in the 1st, then draft QBs with all remaining picks? Saying a guy not drafted in the 1st had success is meaningless. If you break it down by draft round (I did once), your odds are best with 1st rounders and basically drop a fair amount in every round thereafter, with one exception: The 5th round is especially bad, and the 6th round is especially good (because of Brady, Bulger, and Hasselbeck). I've never broken down undrafted free agents because I don't have near enough time to find a list of all the UDFA QBs in a given time span, but I expect it's extremely low. For every Kurt Warner or Tony Romo, there are probably at least 20-25 guys who were just camp fodder.

None of this has a lot to do with Fitz; he is who he is, and in the short term, it's clear that he's the guy, so it's all about making his job easier. But when it comes to finding the next guy, I think it's very useful to know what the odds are. Doesn't mean that taking a stiff in the 1st round suddenly makes him into a great prospect, but if a guy is a consensus 1st-round pick, there's a better chance he'll succeed than if he's a consensus 2nd-round pick.

I think this proves what I've said for awhile, teams win. Media and fans give all the credit and blame to the QB but that's a falsehood. Teams win and lose. The rest of the team also effects a QB's development. Alex Smith and Big Ben are great examples of this in both directions. As far as the Bills go, this illustrates my point. That they need better players across the boars and a QB will not be the cure all so many believe it will be